Performance bike review

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by 1199s dewy, May 14, 2012.

1. Just read it!! Wtf didn't try race mode on the track??? What's all that about? The bike is so different in race mode, stiffer suspension throttle response instant a different beast.

Also my copy has a miss print for the tire test no pirelli supercorsa sp review just how did we do it twice!!! Poor very poor

Apart from that loved the review. Maybe the BMW is the fastest bike but I know that this is the bike for me. I am in love with it and has reignited my passion for 2 wheels. That's worth the wait in gold to me!!!

2. I gave up reading these "reviews" years ago as they are total BS.

I couldnt care if the BMW is faster than a space shuttle, the fact remains it was styled by a blind man and finished in the dark by one handed dwarfs working a 3 day week on flexi-time. Should be great with all the cash generators AKA cameras around these days.

Serviced by a BM dealer? Check your wheels dont fall off!

It makes me laugh the "buying public" listen to these "reviews" and accept what they say as fact.

In my eyes, you buy a bike because YOU like it rather than what you are being told you should like.

You have a bike anyone would give their left nut for!

JC

• Like Like x 4
  3. 2nd paragraph priceless!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ive never been one for political correctness.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  5. I was there on the day with the reviewer of the bike. It was a simple mistake that he didn't get to try race settings but he had nothing but good things to say about the bike. He only found out he forgot the race settings when he was filling up on the way back. He did say it made a difference to the bike and he loves it more than the beemer or anything else. Unfortunately, not many people can afford a 20k track hack and I'm sure if money was no problem, the reviewer would definetely have one, even if it would lose to a s1k on track.

However, fact is there are better bikes out there. For one, I was fortunate enough to be allowed to ride the 1199 that day and compared to my 1098r, it feels gutless. There wasn't the direct control of where you twist the throttle and away you go. It felt like a wheezy 600 in the lower revs up to 6-7k, and and kept waiting for any pull to happen. Along with a few other points, i'm not impressed by it.

I do like how light it felt stationary and it has a really nice dash. But thats about it for me.

Would I buy one? I'll buy one for kudos and track days at my pace. But if was on a tighter budget , better bikes out of the box out there.

yeah, and i know about the tyre double print too. Got confused by that.

6. I disagree the bike is far better than the torquey 1098r. Fact is you have rev it more and it's has more usable power. Race setting transforms the bike as you would not use it below 6k.

Each to there own tho!! I'm very happy with it and wins hands down.

7. Dewy both ducati and many testers have said that low down 1199 feels like 848 and only shows it's power about half through rev range. It was said it makes it more day to day bike unlike ducati of old with all or nothing. It is apparently a benefit but I disagree. Thing is all or nothing is one of those character traits that attracted me, the instant torque is what makes it fun for me. I will agree with etherion on that.

8. Like I said each to there own its a personal thing. It's quite easy to keep the bike spinning a bit higher!! After all the 848 is a great road bike but you have the best of both worlds but depends if you like being tied up in knotts coming out of bends. Im too old for all that.

We all love bikes for different reasons I suppose.

9. Actually, after re-reading the posts, I'm slightly confused.

I replied just to say that the reviewer who happens to be a friend of mine forgot to change it to race mode. He absolutely loved the 1199 and let me had a go.

I posted what i felt which is "just my own opinion" This is not a direct comparison to the 1199 or trying to. I stated what i like and what not.

The 1199 is 5 years newer than the 1098 and i expect it to be better so no debate there

10. Very true it's a shame tho he forgot the race mode on the review that's what I'm saying. Did he change the to flat suspension? Or just left it in progressive road setting? Nothing was said about that.

Did you try it in race mode as its like 3 different bikes when you switch modes!

#10 1199s dewy, May 15, 2012
    Last edited: May 19, 2012
  11. We are each to our own agree, at first I did not like looks of it. After seeing it on road mirrors need to go but rest is lovely, much better then indoors. I want to test ride one (even if can not afford one) to see that low down power but for now I have to say not me.

12. I had one out today for a test ride, my local dealer did ring me this week after all! I had just an 1199 base with ABS, I was prepared to buy though, still have funds from previous bike burning a hole. I thought being a twin it might compliment my RSV4 nicely.

It was a grey overcast day and I took her out for 1/2 an hour or longer as Gavin on sales offered. I warned him that if it started to P down I'd be back sooner. It's own up time! on heading out of the car park in Sport mode I stalled it, the lack of torque did surprise me, but I looked an arse. So left Riders in Bridgwater and headed to Hinckley Point as there are some great twisties en-route to the power station. The bike as has been commented on, is tiny compared to previous Dukes, it feels rather gutless low down compared to Testastretta Superbikes, more like a 4 that vibrates, but it's easy to ride and if you jumped on it after an IL4 from the east you'd love it, but forget about previous Ducati riding techniques you've learned, this is an easy bike to ride and not much adjustment required for your average Blade or Gixxer rider.

The quick shifter is good and positive and the seat is definitely more comfortable than you'll think at first look. The riding position is better than previously was the case, still a sports bike position and nowhere near as comfy as a KTM RC8, but a move on from the 1198.
    Out on the road and it needs a handful of revs to make progress, the rev counter numbers get physically larger on the LCD as it climbs up the revs. This is like no Ducati Superbike I've ridden before, it's not worse or better, it's different! Everyone has commented on the loud exhaust and in riding through Cannington it does get the pedestrians attention, it's not as boomy as before, but it is loud. Out into the twisties, it's an easy bike to throw around and barreling into corners quick, very quick, is easily tamed by the brakes. It doesn't sit up under braking either so you'll find this a great scratcher even when you think this is quick, eh a bit too quick, oh sheeeeeet!!!!! Only happened once, but reassuring how quick the speed is shaved off, it's like riding a fast 600.

After a bit of throwing it around I stopped and had a play with the settings to have a different experience on the way back, it's a complex fiddle to change the settings in detail although the maps are straight forward, but abs, traction etc needs to be simplified. The heat at standstill was not too bad, but I am comparing to a couple of very hot V4's, you'll notice it on a warm day, but i doubt you'd think it was an issue.

Back at the dealers and a bit of thought over a sausage bap with a mug of tea, I'd only been out 35 minutes. I'm left thinking, that was OK, a bit of fun, like riding a 4 that vibrates like a twin or riding a twin that needs to be revved like a 4. BUT and it's a big BUT I wasn't blown away, it wasn't silly fast and it didn't feel like a Duke that I'd been used to. So I was left under-whelmed and compared to the test ride I remember from a 1098 and a 999 it wasn't terribly special, so my £15K is still in the bank and my RSV4 is still on it's own.

I don't want to incite those that have spent their funds, it's a fine machine and you'll love it, I've been spoiled by other Dukes, so enjoy the Panigale it's a good bike.

#12 Royum, May 19, 2012
    Last edited: May 19, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Funniest thing I've read in ages !

Do Not Sell My Personal Information