899 Performance Bikes

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by ronin, May 16, 2014.

1. More of a rant than anything, picked up this bog roll in WHY Smith as it had 899 v 675 on the cover so thought I’d have a quick skim and put it back on the shelf, though in hindsight I should have binned all the copies
    I was hoping things had changed since i last had the misfortune to look at a copy.
    Seems no matter what bike they review, they only ever rate the triumph regardless of what they test it against.
    Once or twice i get it - but every test there is only one outcome - shouldn't it be called performance triumph, at least that way it'd be more honest!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Have you seen the rant on the Bike Magazine forum where the editors complain about the number of people who read their offerings in Smiths but never actually buy a copy ?

Perhaps they are supporting British industry in which case, well done them.

All the magazines are pointless aren't they ? Nothing more important than your own opinion.

3. Not read a bike mag for years. Usually just rehashed shit year after year

• Like Like x 1
  4. I've sort of given up reading any magazines, or pretty much papers.
    I'm more into books. In about 400 pages, you can really learn something. You tend not to learn all that much in 2.

5. Proudly i subscribe to 3 publications via standing order - all british and all offering unbiased opinions.

I normally peruse anything before purchase - not buy and see what its like when i get home.
    Ensures i get what I want, not what i don't.

Just looked at the Bike magazine forum - no reference to a chap in smiths - plenty of some tool on a forum though...

6. Can't complain about performance bike magazine........they've just given me a free track day!

7. Cor blimey Guvnor, that stings ! Never mind.
    Out of interest, had PB rated the 899 above the 675 would you have bought a copy of the mag and would it influence what bike you buy/bought ?

8. @ronin Totally agree... I'm all for supporting British industry... But as long as Trumpet continue to produce bikes that look a mish-mash of every jap sports bike around & use cheap components I'll not spend my money on one...

9. So... I agree that the mags do seem to be loving Triumph at the mo, but I have to say there is some basis in this. Having owned a Daytona for 3 years before buying my Ducati. It cost me £7000, never had a thing go wrong with it, had a stunning engine and the Ducati cost me £11250 and has been in for warranty stuff twice and broke down once on the way to work because of a corroded fuel pump relay.

Now, this isn't a knocking of Ducati, but I just want to get across that it's just possible that a group of testers preferred the £10500 Daytona R over the Ducati at £12500 when they weighed up usability/engine character etc. They are just opinions...

However as some have said, do you really read it then go and buy the one they say is the best? I bought an 848 Evo, it's been thrashed by a GSXR750 in most group tests I have read but I would rather stop riding than ride a GSXR750 because I love my Ducati.

10. If you need the comfort of someone else's opinion, watch BVG on utube. Far cheaper than buying mags.

11. Hardly, I bought the bike in November and the drivel in question is in the months edition.
    A test ride sold the bike to me :)

12. Thing is it seems to be every bike from
    any brand they put against the Daytona, the Daytona always wins!

13. Nice. I think the 899 is the most beautiful sports bike currently in production and the whole Triumph range leaves me cold. Not ridden either 899 or 675 so just going on appearances for now.
    They`ll be watching you in Smiths next time though, be warned !

14. I had a T595. It was a hoot. I loved it. Until I shoved it into the side of a van.

Errm the F3 is way prettier. But as has been said on numerous times by numerous peoples. Its all subjective.

I only get BIKE on subscription because i keep forgetting to cancel it.

15. I'm a subscriber of said magazine, I've read the test and it did appear that the Triumph was quicker round the track than the 899 however both Michael Rutter and Johnny Mac did say they would rather have the 899 as their own bike.

16. Big Bang r1 was best thing ever in 2009 no new bikes excep s1000rr new few year came last in all shoot outs makes no sense as blade gsxr were all no change bull shit just write crap .

17. The mags need to at least be objective and I guess the only way to do that is to go by the actual laptimes. Emotional response to a bike is a very subjective thing. I testrode a Daytona 675 before the Panigale 1199 and I'm pretty sure that I was faster on the 675 than I was on the 1199 around the twisities. The handling on the Daytona was incredible, it dropped into corners without trying, was completely confidence inducing on full lean and I was able to flick it back up again with just a slight hip wiggle before getting on full power. All that said it just didn't excite me like the 1199 did which I went on to buy. I'm sure the 899 is much closer to the 675 in terms of useability but it doesn't surprise me too much that the 675 was slightly quicker. (in my little time riding) I'm yet to experience anything that comes close to the emotional involvement of the Ducati and in their defence I do think the magazine article does allude to this fact. I for one read the article and went out and bought a Ducati haha!

• Like Like x 1
  18. A lap time is a lap time. If you were buying a bike for use on the track, it might be important. But the street is a different matter, and all sorts of other things come into play. I remember once on the 851 having to really struggle to keep up with a Suzuki DR Big 750 - which you will remember was a truly hideous-looking single. That is because I was on the backroads of the Route Napoleon in France, with somewhat less than perfect road surface (the long travel suspension on the DR stomped me) and lots of blind bends. It's only when you get to near Gap that you suddenly get racetrack road surfaces, wide roads and great viz. The DR was then toast, but until you had those conditions, you just couldn't use the Ducati's chassis advantage.

Out on the road, I'd sooner be on the Panigale rather than continually stroking the 675's gearbox - a lot less tiring over a long trip. The greater acceleration of the Panigale would also be more relaxing. On a track though, I wouldn't be surprised to be faster on the 675.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I've not ridden the 899 yet but the D675R is a spectacular bike. Some people don't get it, for me it just clicks. It fits me like a glove and I LOVE the engine. It handles like a dream, has fantastic brakes and sounds brilliant especially with the arrow pipe.

I don't do sports bikes on the road but my next dedicated track bike will probably be one.

20. I'm sure that if Rutter was riding an 899 at this years TT it would of been the bike to of won the compassion test. Seeming as he's on a D675 in the 600/junior TT the poor duke didn't have a chance :-(

Do Not Sell My Personal Information