Petrol smell!

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by hyabusa47, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    Just after some advice if possiable. When I start the bike and it's warming up I can smell petrol quite strongly. Is this normal..I have a termi exhaust on standard pipes along side a ecu set up for the termi. There is no sign of petrol leaking from the tank and all pipes look in good condition. I've taken the down pipes off to polish them and since then have noticed the petrol smell stronger. If this is normal then I will carry on getting high on the fumes in the garage if not I better plan a quick exit route.
    Cheers hyabusa47 :wink:

2. Wheel it outside to warm up then :wink:

Seriously though my old man always says my bike smells of petrol either warming up or when back from a ride. Same setup as you Termi cans on standard pipes with the ECU and airfilter fitted

3. Iv had a lot of bikes smelling rich when cold. as they warm the mixture will burn better. enjoy the heady fumes :tongue:
    A well ventilated area is never a bad thing either as jester says

4. Ta for the reply...only concerned as all my other bikes have been 4cylinders and never a smell of petrol so was concerned. Guess its one of the good bits of owning a duc

5. Depends on the fueling. Bikes are set up to pass emmition tests not to be as economical or efficient as poss. so different bikes with different cans/systems and fueling set ups will burn fuel and air at different levels. shouldnt be anything to worry about unless its spitting flames out the back all the time. maybe get it on a dyno if u have the spare cash to tinker with, its never a bad thing

6. Which bike is it Hyabusa? the vent can start to purge the fuel tank on stationary warm up (fumes only) on some models particularly if tank is nearer empty. Also as said, unburnt fuel can make it's way out via exhausts or crankcase breather on enriched idle.

7. All Ducati's that I've owned smell rich when starting with Termi's and the appropriate ECU. Its a lovely smell :D

I assume you're also talking about a Ducati and not a 'Busa since you posted on this forum.

8. Also have the smell of fuel but when normal riding, only second time out today around 200 miles and the guys with me said they could smell it pretty bad when following. Oh and its an 1198 with termi cans with ECU and filter.

9. After you saying that I think it wouldn't do any harm to get all the injector hoses and connections checked out. If it was serious I think the garage would reek of petrol when you entered even before you went to start it up though.

10. Hi Chris

Its a 749 05 model. The fumes are quite strong when starting up I've noticed. Not noticed when I'm riding though, I also keep the tank regularly topped up as well. :smile:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information