Please Recommend A Ducati For Me??

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Mouldie, Jan 21, 2024.

1. Hi all,

Im a long-time Ducati fan, and have owned a 1992 400SS and a 1997 748. I found the 748 a little uncomfortable on my wrists, but it was tolerable.

With a budget of circa £10k which Ducati would you recommend? My criteria are:

- I want it to feel special. I won’t do a huge amount of miles, and it’ll be a fun bike not a work horse.

- I’d like to to retain its value as far as possible. Appreciation would be great, but I know there are never any guarantees.

- I can change the belts every couple of years, but I’d prefer low maintenance ideally. If I went for a bike that doesn’t have belts does it have other costly maintenance items?

- Power isn’t everything. I had a 2019 Fireblade and I think that was possibly too much power for the road. But, the kid in me is always drawn to the fastest/most powerful I can get!

so, I’ve been looking at:

749S (is the R worth stretching the budget for?)
    999S
    1098S (is the tricolor worth stretching the budget for?)
    1198S
    959 (is the Corse worth stretching the budget for?)
    1199 Panigale

Really appreciate your thoughts on this, thanks!!

2. Welcome. I’d have any of those on your list. But as a summer weekend toy I’d probably go for the 1098s Tricolore cos it’s pretty…..and may appreciate in time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hi and welcome. Having owned 5 Panigale’s to me they simply do not feel anywhere near special compared to the 748/9** bikes. Better in every way of course but just not in how you feel riding them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 1200s Monster
    Light, nimble not overly powerful and fun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. the newest one possible

6. Too expensive Richard. 748r or 848 Evo Corse SE would be good choice though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 748/999s/R, 1098 tricolore or Monster 1200R and Streetfighter 1098s
    I cant see any going up in value with use.
    I have owned the Tricolore and Monster 1200R, both a bit special imo, both require belt changes. The Monster I think is much more usable bike.

8. 1198S..

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. It would have to be the 888 for me

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  10. 916 all day long, less miles more smiles then your wrists should be fine, you can always fit some risers to make it more comfortable

11. I know of a mint 748sp coming up soon. :blush:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Welcome and good luck finding your perfect bike. For me one of the 748 variants would do the trick or a 916.

13. I’d go for a 999s just think they’re starting to appreciate in value and being appreciated for their design.

There’s a nice 1198s in black on eBay..

14. This

15. 899

• Like Like x 2
  16. Thank you! Has the tricolore appreciated already? I remember looking at the 1098s around 2014/15 and the tricolore was about a £1000-1500 premium then. It now seems about £4k?

Is the difference just aesthetics? Same motor and chassis as the 1098s?

agree though, it’s a beautiful bike!

17. Thanks, this is what I’d assumed. Did Audi take over around the Panigale era? I imagine great engineering, less character?

but I do like the idea of cam chains rather than belts….

18. Why 2004 specifically? Carbon fairing?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. This is what I was thinking. Still seem reasonable value and I think the design keeps getting better with age.

Is a 1198s the same as an SP? There’s a lovely black 1198sp at £13k that looks awesome, but dear if it’s the same as the S model?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information