Probably A Question For The Racers About Sbs 841ds1/841ds2 Brake Pads

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by Android853sp, May 15, 2023.

1. A couple of months ago, I got involved in a conversation with the SBS UK rep about pads for track days and racing. Something along the lines, they (SBS) are seeing racers use their DS1 and DS2 pads, paired (DS1/DS2 …. DS2/DS1) in the calipers. I used proper “race” brake pads for the first time at Almeria and the difference to the Brembo SC/SRs I’m used to, is night and day (better). I’m curious, does this configuration improve the “feel” over DS1s or DS2s ? Andy

PS - I ask because the “race” pads I was gifted and want to get more, aren’t available for me to buy, so I have the choice of SBS or Brembo Z04s.

2. The SBS DS pads are slightly different composition between the 1 & 2 variant. One has a more aggressive initial bite and the other a more linear feel.

Mixing the pads in calipers provides a bit of fine tuning on how you want the brakes to feel.

Personally I prefer the Z04’s for feel and performance, but the SBS pads are very good too. So far a set has lasted two and a bit rounds of Sprint & Endurance racing, plus a four day test in Spain.

I’m running generally top three, so not hanging around. So quite impressive performance really.

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. Just to add, I’m also running cooling ducts and HPK discs or when wet std discs.

I believe the air ducts really help extend the life of the pads.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. @t3scn, that’s brilliant, thank you very much. Andy

5. Anytime :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  6. May I temporarily hijack to ask a question about brake pads. Im going to Almeria and my current Brembo SR are about 50%, so I have life left in them. But I intend to buy another set to take with me. Should I buy the SA for the track? I can then swap back to the SR for road use.

7. Why?

8. Brembo have recently changed the letter designations of their street/trackday pads. I believe the old SC, which was my go to for the track, is now SR (I have no idea what happened to the old SR) and I thought SA were OE road pads. Maybe best to give Craig a ring to check. You will definitely need to take spare front brake pads and I’d be checking the pads you have fitted before you head out on track for day 2. I was gobsmacked when the pads in my Multistrada didn’t last 2 days. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. I don’t even know what I used for years on end on track, but I got along just fine. That said, the Z04’s were a quantum leap in bite, longevity and general performance. The downside is they are quantum leap in price too…. If you’re still getting the hang of track riding, I wouldn’t bother chopping and changing. When I distill the Z04 performance, it just means I don’t have to squeeze the lever as hard for the same result. You soon recalibrate squeezage…

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Are DS "better" than DC?

11. Dual sintered vs dual carbon. My take on what the SBS website states, the dual carbon are hardcore and need heat to work and the dual sintered work more or less from the start. I emphasise, that is my (layman) take so could very well be a load of bollocks :joy: Andy

12. And that’s another thing with Z04’s, they work immediately. No bedding in or warming up, just fit and go…

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. I've never had an issue with slow warm-up on DC, I normally go 90% straight out of out lane and full beans by end of lap 1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Why, what? Do I think they are extending the life?

15. Yeah, why do "the air ducts really help extend the life of the pads."?

16. I personally prefer them, the DC’s I found to not have the longevity and continuous performance.

But they still work well and are a lot cheaper, so it comes down to how much you want to be replacing pads and really what purpose you are utilising them for. All work well and have high levels of performance.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. I can’t put my finger on it yet, it’s my first year running them. But previously I would get through a set of pads in two rounds (about 4 hours of continuous running in race conditions).

With the ducts as mentioned they still have life left and they have done nearly double the work/time in equivalent conditions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. I’m assuming it’s keeping peek temps down and therefore the extreme end of when abrasion is causing wear is not being reached as often

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. The naming conventions of some the brands confuse the shit out of me. Sbs especially.

I’ve not used the ‘big Willy’ sbs pads but have heard they’re good.

20. I went on a hunt after reading your post and many of the positive claims seem to centre around reducing overall caliper temperature which, as a consequence, reduces the brake fluid temperature and reduces the piston temperature. Sadly, most of the commercial offerings I found replace the 5mm caliper spacers commonly used with 330mm discs. As my Multistrada has 320mm discs that’s not going to work. Yet to find anything commercially available for the V2 but perhaps in time. Andy

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information