Probably First Of Many Questions

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Carl Murphy, Sep 4, 2023.

1. So I have question on my 996 that Ducati Stoke cannot answer and I am lost. So bear with me on this....
    Key in no power at all Bike dead. Battery is full and showing 13 +, all fuses ok regulator was fine and charging battery. When i put screw driver across solenoid terminals she turned over.
    Have new solenoid on order.
    Any other idea's keep it simple i am no sparky

• Like Like x 2
  2. There’s a little white-ish plastic plug that plugs into the back of the solenoid - it is not very well restrained and can work loose.
    My 748 and 916 both had starting issues if this plug was loose.
    I tie wrapped it in around the solenoid and it was fine ever after.
    Perhaps it’s that?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Cheers Rickyx
    Tried that as same on my 748, if new solenoid does not fix it then thinking its the ignition itself.

• Like Like x 1
  4. If turning the key to “on” doesn’t light up the dash Eric., the surely the switch on the ignition is suspect?

5. Thats my next point to check thanks Eric

• Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  6. Welcome to the forum Carl.:)

• Like Like x 1
  7. So after changing the:
    1. solenoid
    2. Starter relay
    3. rechecking all fuses in the rack and 40a
    4. after checking all connections

I am now guessing the issue lies with the ignition switch itself as Monsterped, suggested any other helpful comments?

8. Battery earth? Reversed polarity?

9. Tested everything RickyX, just tested ignition and no reading from it no power at all, gutted. So looking on ebay now for new one.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I had this once on a 748 rebuild and it was the multiplug connections to the ignition switch, A further clean and a bit of wiggling and the bike has been fine ever since.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks Red998, that's my next option tonight before spending 50 quid on new one in the coming days. :scream:

12. There is a large Set of connectors in the tail unit. Did you get them checked. Easy to overlook - under the seat area

• Like Like x 1
  13. Is a early 2000 monster switch the same? If so I should have one here you could borrow, but do you need to code the 'new' key to the bike?

14. There’s a relay down by the left of the battery, a couple actually but the main relay is a square yellow item, at least the original is. Iirc, this will throw power up to the fuse box and the associated circuits. Have you checked for power at the fuses?

15. Yep done all that and replaced old yellow one as past sell by date now.

16. No reading on multimeter on male end of electrical socket from ignition either.

17. Is there a break in the wiring somewhere, possibly testing each wire with a voltmeter might help.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Done that m8

19. Another possibility may be, have you checked the multi-plug where the main loom connects to the headlamp etc.

I had a situation where one of the male terminals from the headlamp connector block, in my case, broke off and got stuck in the female side of the block. The light did still work, but if you have a situation where the connectors don't touch then possibly that could through up a fault.

It's just a long shot but you seem to have tried most other things. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Assuming you've tried shorting the relevant connectors on the ignition connection block, I don't have a wiring diagram but assume something comes up to the ignition switch and the switch makes the connection, just need to replicate that at the connector? Will be one for ignition lights on the dash and possibly one to enable the start button?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information