Radio Controlled Cars

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by richgilb, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Thinking of getting one for my four year old for Christmas. Obviously it has to be badass enough for me to play with too, maybe I could get two and we can go racing. I was thinking of this. Traxxas - Rustler (#37054) - Overview | traxxas.com
    Anyone been there and know which ones are the ones to go for?

2. pmsl. Your kid is 4. You're buying this for you. Admit it. She'll suss you out in a heartbeat.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. get your 'lad' a r/c helicopter, much more fun, and you can cut your/the wifes/kidddies hair at the same time....

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Does look pretty awesome tho. That'd drive my cat nuts.

5. I am relying on the restrictor switch, reducing power by 50% to get it approved by the Doris. It's either this or a quad bike

6. Been there done it and to be honest it's boring as hell after 5 mins, joining a club and going racing is the way to go. Go to your local club and see what they race and what takes your fancy so you are not wasting your cash.

7. Running a nitro rc car made a Ducati look cheap to run. That's my only experience of them.

8. Just get a Tamiya one. Build it and fix it yourself when it end up under a car......that my only experience with them :)

9. bought a few for the kids , the kids didn't play with them for long.

10. SWMBO bought me a RC helicopter a few years back for Xmas. Think I played with it for all of five minutes

11. Yeah they look kinda cool, but I can imagine the novelty factor wears off pretty quickly

12. Yup - I bought one of those a few years back for my kid ( exact same model ) they can take quite a caning....took ours to the seaside where he promptly lost control of it and drove it into the sea....but, it survived it....he's kind of out of it at the moment but it still works fine. If anything when theyre left for a long time they need a quick service first (bit of WD40, bearing etc etc) they do go through batteries quite quick - the one I have are all pretty knackered so if he gets it out again ill need to get a couple of new ones....all in all good - they can take quite a beating... put it this way....theyre fast enough to open them up full tilt in our road and then powerslide them sideways...although you start to go through tyres then as well!

13. I know about rc nitro, it is a very expensive hobby and addictive. Racing them gets more expensive. The set ups for racing is endless and the engines start to get pricey and can be difficult to tune etc. The xray car I used had a £300 engine.

I never got into the battery cars, but I have seen them and they are just as fast, if not faster. It's the usual, the more money you pay, the better the car. You will need chargers and lots of spare batteries.

Xray, Associated, Losi, etc are all good makes, again expensive.

If you intend racing, go to the nearest Club and speak to them. These clubs have all age groups and they are fanatical about RC. It's a great hobby, but it is not cheap.
    Racing needs good radio gear and few other things for time keeping. A Club can advise.
    Also, decide on the scale/size of car you want to use. 1/8 scale buggy etc.

I would say though, they are not really toys. Ready to Run are not always the best option, but again a Club will help you decide on how serious you want to take things.

Really good servos will cost a couple of hundred quid, tyres need replaced, chargers, battery conditioners, additional motors. It can all mount up.

Good luck, it's a great thing to get into.

14. It is but I think he just wants something that him and his kid can play around with - if it goes that way then fair enough but for me it was enough...I can upgrade it a little if I want to plus but I believe that if you want to switch to the LiPo batteries then you have to switch the speed controller and motor as well...so, not for me....just stay with the regular stuff but a little better...

15. Get Nitro, batteries are for torches and starting things that burn stuff.

16. Yes he loves cars totally. Not sure yet if a radio controlled car will be any more exciting to him than his current favourite 5 quid metal Sting Ray. So nothing too serious here, but I don't want a heap of Argos shite either.

17. What you want is my sons 'used' once petrol car with carbon shell.
    About 3ft long with proper shocks

image.jpg

18. is that a baja

19. Its bigger, well wider. Has a nice carbon effect shell. 30cc, oil filled shocks, fail safe engine cut off etc. Much easier than a nitro, they are hard to start are very temperamental , these start much easier, need a big field for them really.

20. I just liked the screaming and the smell of the nitro. They are temperamental, but they scream and scream and once I blew one up.

Out of interest, not that I am in the market, but what is something like that worth?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information