1200 Rear Splash Guard - Remove?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by MotoNik, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Just debating whether to take the rear splash guard off - does it make much of a difference with spray etc? It's pretty ugly, so thinking I may remove it.

2. Have taken mine off straight after buying my two Multistada 's but I do not ride in the wet, sun only. Did buy the chain guard though to keep all the chain lube off the back wheel. Does look better though. image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. I removed mine, but since refitted it

If you do get caught in wet weather it does quite an effective job of keeping the crud of the back of the bike, and especially so if you carry a pillion, my Mrs was covered in crap after a long ride in the wet with no Splash guard fitted!

• Like Like x 1
  4. I was thinking that (a) I have a top box rack fitted, so that'll offer some additional protection, and (b) if we get caught in the rain we're not far from home so it won't matter, and (c) if we're further afield we'll likely have the top box on, so that'll catch the majority of spray.

Are we all agreed then that it has to go?!

• Like Like x 1
  5. It's ugly and heavy and ridiculous. They only fit the things because BMW GSs have them. Take it off, but keep it safe ready to re-fit when you sell the bike.

• Like Like x 2
  6. If you want your bike to look sh#t, leave it on. If you don't, take it off! Jon.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Richard 1200, is yours a DVT, if so where did you get the chainguard and hugger please, they look the dogs ....

8. Dvt swinger is a different colour, so my money is on No it's not a dvt .

9. Crap! Should've noticed that, it hasn't got the water retaining well at the shock mounting point either

10. Yep, think mine has to go also, looks shite

• Like Like x 1
  11. No not DVT, still waiting for all the early bugs to be sorted on that model before I buy.

12. I have thought about removing mine, but most of the miles are two up, so leaving it on to prevent covering Mrs YMFB in crap

13. It's off - for now. Whether it stays off depends on whether I can find a satisfactory way to re-mount the chain guard the runs round the back of the rear sprocket run, as that'll prevent lube flinging off and coating the wheel and underside of the seat.

14. mine came off the second time I had to adjust the chain, as it has to and I wasn't going to mess about with keep on/off!! Looks better too

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. I've just removed mine, looks much better without it. Also, fitted an Evotech tail tidy with Oxford nano indicators so panniers still fit.

• Like Like x 1
  16. That sounds good - pictures please!!

17. ;)

#17 Hyperextended, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Photos please

19. I will take some photos at the weekend.

20. I took my Crud catcher to adjust the chain the other day, and it was full of water (DVT) seems they made it lighter by making it hollow,sort of defeats the object though if then it fills up with water lol.
    I did put it back on, but I do like the look of the Carbon replacements in photo, more the case for me making the bike lighter too.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information