Restoring 1098 after crash

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by drummertjp, May 19, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I am putting my 1098 back together after it (and me) got hit by a car last November. It was declared cat c and so far I have replaced all the plastics and front nose sub frame, tank bracket and clutch. So it is now looking pretty up and together and nothing else seems bent or damaged, I therefore finally tried to start it, it turns over but doesn't fire up. Just looking for anyone who has had an off and repaired the bike and found similar problems, I am thinking that perhaps the fuel pump may need replacing, or something. There were no error codes until the 5 th time trying to start then the pkup error showed up this may go away with a good charge and turning it off and on again however! So any advice on common and easy if fuelling problems would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Tim

2. Would these have an impact-fired shut-off valve in the fuel system for accidents etc? Big wallop and it cuts your fuel to stop any fires? Not sure. :frown:

3. I would put my money on it just being a flat battery.

Dont try to start it connected to an optimate or similar or you run the risk of frying your ECU on these babies.

If the fuel pump primes then its good. Have you replaced the fuel? Would start with fresh fuel in the tank and a fully topped up battery. If you have already done this then its fuses, plugs, coils etc, just the usual problem solving but its best to keep it simple first. We have all been caught out by a cutout or sidestand switch :eek: so just be patient mate and it wil prob come good.

Dont forget, if the lights are on and you have tried to start it a few times and its not started as its been stood, then its easy to flat a battery if its not 100% and then it wont do anything.

Best of luck.

JC

4. Interesting, I will look into it. But I would of thought if it did it would have its own warning code that would show up on the dash? Or maybe the impact of a crash should be a warning in itself!

5. Yeah I did fully charge the battery, and it sounds like it is priming when turned on. But I will now make sure to disconnect it from the optimate!
    I guess I should drain the old fuel and top up with fresh would be the best start.

Cheers

6. I would say its the fuel then as if its stood for 6 or 7 months then it could be stale and it might have water in the tank from the winter. Drain it all out and put fresh in but make sure the battery is fully charged. Only put about half a jerry can in as theres no point in brimming the thing in case you need to have the tank off. It might take a few goes to get it to fire as the plugs will be getting wet now and it will take a bit of a toll on the battery.

Yeah, dont start it connected to the charger. Have a look on the forum as there was a good post about a technical bulletin or something I think which mentioned this and bump starting.

7. Any luck starting?

8. Have been away this week so have not tried yet, hopefully find out tomorrow night. I will keep you posted...

9. So it looks like the spark plug holder had cracked. Will order up a new one and hope this along with a fresh tank of fuel will solve it....

10. When you say "holder" do you mean the coil stick that goes into the plug?

11. Yes I mean the ignition coil that fits over the spark plug. The bike flipped over in the crash landing on the tank, this must have broken the ignition coil.

12. New ignition coil fitted, tank drained all back together and it started first time
    Now I just need to find a cheap replacement front wheel!

13. There you go. Result!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information