Restoring ('91) 900ss That Has Been In Storage For 15 Yrs!

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by MacBulldog, Sep 6, 2015.

1. I am new to this forum but not new to restorations. It has however been a while but latest project I restoring a ('91) 900SS that has been in storage for 15 yrs and only has 3,750 miles! I actually owned this bike new and sold it to a collector and now have it back. I have begun the front-to-rear disassembly starting with draining the oil, removing the OEM Mikuni (frozen up) carbs (disassembled and deep cleaned), fuel tank was drained and absent of rust, cam/timing belts, etc. if anyone has any advice or insights on these early 90's 900SS specific issues I should be especially looking for please let me know as I am open to all suggestions. This will not hopefully end up being an off-frame restoration (at least initially) as I want to get this beast running well enough to see just how everything does after all these years unattended. Thanks! -MacBulldog

2. Hi Mac, welcome to the forum nice little project but we do pics!:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  3. We need pics :)

4. Welcome,
    You could perhaps give me some tips, I am 3 years in on a 92 reno'.
    They're right, we do need pics.

Cheers Gaz

5. Hi welcome to the forum. Get some pics up please :)

6. how do.

7. Welcome Dog :upyeah:

8. Hello and welcome. I rebuilt my 91 900 SS a couple of years ago. The only thing that I can think of that is worth watching out for is the oil gallery plug on the big end, but with your mileage I'm sure it won't be an issue. Mine started out as a mild spruce up and ended up being a full nut and bolt restoration. My only advice is to decide at the outset what kind of finish you are aiming for, set a realistic budget and try to stick to it. I ended up doing some work twice as what was good enough initially wound up looking shoddy later on as I put more work in to other areas. Here's mine now

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  9. Hello and welcome in mad dog to the mad house

Pics please it's the law :)

10. Thanks to all for the encouragement! Your '91 900 SS looks great! I tried uploading more pic last night but the quality was lacking. I wil do some more now that I know that is the game rules. This will be a long range project and patience on my part as we enter the cooler riding season here in Central PA and I'm feeling the itch to get this old beast running.

• Like Like x 1
  11. The pic to the left and above my New Member name is a solo pic of my '91 900 SS project bike being stripped down for the restoration process...more to come.

#11 MacBulldog, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  12. Here are more pics of my '91 900 SS project bike. OEM carbs deep cleaned & ready for all new o-ring and jet kits; timing/cam belts ready for install; new fuel filter; replacement of all fuel lines; bleeding clutch & brakes; full fairings being restored (small stress fracture on upper and lower left faring); new plugs; more pics as I make progress. Tomorrow, I plan on continuing getting the OEM carbs back together (setting the float at 14 and doing a basic bench sync). I am not sure the rebuild effort on the OEM Mikunis will be fruitful so I am saving up for a pair of FCR's...experiences and suggestions on either the OEM Makunis and/or the FCR kits welcomed.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  13. Very neat and tidy :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. great stuff:upyeah:

15. Wow that's clean. Doesn't look like it needs much doing to it. I found the standard Mikunis to be a pain as they had been standing idle for a long time. Once I got them sorted out though they work well enough. I'm sure fcrs would improve the feel but I'm actually quite happy with the oem carbs. I've got a stage 2 dynojet kit in mine and it goes well enough. I'm not sure that with standard pistons that I would feel the cost of the fcrs was justified.

17. That looks very nice should have that done in a few weeks, get a move on;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Yes, my hope is that I do not discover any major "age related" issues once I have her fired up and running! Woke up to a cool 60F clear shies morning which would be perfect riding weather! Got to get a move on

#18 MacBulldog, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  19. THANKS!

20. THANKS!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information