Restriction Buried In The Small Print Caution

Discussion in 'Insurance - Sponsored by Ducati Insurance' started by Android853sp, Apr 11, 2024.

1. Insurance renewal is causing a bit of controversy in my local IAM Observer group at the moment. The most recent, highlights a small print restriction that the broker claims is becoming more common. The restriction requires your motorcycle to have a “physical theft deterrent” fitted at all times when left, including when kept in a garage. This is in addition to any alarm/immobiliser and tracker fitted and is defined as any sort of disc lock, chain and padlock, cable lock and D lock. There was no mention of the physical security needing to be ‘sold secure’ rated. My current policy has no such restriction but it might be worth checking your small print, if you have renewed fairly recently. Andy

#1 Android853sp, Apr 11, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2024
    • Useful Useful x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  2. Steering lock?

3. No, the broker’s advice was “additional to everything the bike came with as standard”. Andy

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. My fists ?

5. Thanks, based on someone asking if I lived in Nairobi last time I posted about my security setup think am covered but hadn't thought about the sold secure marker still - good shout on that one

6. I'm sure this has been std on my Bennetts multi-bike policy for years.

Another one to watch, is that my bikes are not insured if not parked in my garage but are within 200M of my house.
    I can park them overnight anywhere else, with a lock etc, but not within 200M of my house.
    I assume it's to stop people claiming they have a garage that don't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yeah Bemoto told me that in the garage all my bikes have to be chained to the floor....i do put the roadloks on as well...gps is running as well, as well as the garage being alarmed...

8. Is that a standard BeMoto condition, d'you know? Might be a disagreeable surprise to many.

As an aside I've often wondered how a lock and chain condition was realistically enforceable, because if say your bike was dragged out of your drive / garage etc, up a plank, and into a van, I don't know how they'd know whether there was a lock on it or not. But a ground anchor is a rather different level of requirement, since the assessor would presumably want to see the crater in your garage ...

9. Interested in how enforceable this is if you declare no security devices (other than steering lock) on your insurance application.

10. My policy categorically states a Sold Secure (not Thatcham) approved disc lock at all times when out & about.
    Bennetts Insurance.

11. 100%

12. Andy

Assuming it’s insured, have you had a read through the small print for your trailer tent?
    The insurance I have on my boat is a good comparison.

When on the water very few restrictions apply with regard to leaving it on a mooring or tied up alongside etc.
    But, when it’s on it’s trailer a whole host or restrictions are in place.

It’s obviously covered for theft when at the storage yard where it’s kept, it’s also covered when parked up on my drive, at a campsite etc, as long as the trailer is fitted with an approved wheel clamp.
    The trailer can be left unattended near a slipway etc without the boat on, but again it must have a wheel clamp.
    Having a 4 wheel trailer, I use 2 wheel clamps on the same side to make my trailer less desirable than the one next to it with only one clamp.
    Down here on the South coast it's not that unusual to get back to a slipway and find your trailer isn't where you left it.

However, even when fitted with a wheel clamp it is specifically NOT covered for theft or damage if left unattended at a services, attached to the back of the car or not.
    So, when for example we are towing it down to Devon we can’t park the car/trailer and all go into the services for a meal or ‘comfort break’ together.
    One of us has to stay with the car, comfort breaks are taken in turn, and food is always a takeaway.

Considering the number of caravans etc that go missing at services I’m not prepared to take the risk of not being insured.
    It’s a common stipulation when insuring a boat on a trailer.

Regarding the compulsory use of a wheel clamp, somebody I know always used to put the trailer/boat up on blocks then remove the road wheels from his 4 wheel trailer when it was in his front garden, believing that to be better than using a clamp. Although I always said it would be quicker to bring wheels and fit them than deal with a decent wheel clamp.
    When he changed insurance companies a few years ago he mentioned what he did when setting it up.
    He now leaves one wheel on the trailer and puts a clamp on it.

None of this of course stops 4 blokes cutting all the control lines, chainsawing the transom, then putting the 240Kg outboard in a van.
    All in less than a minute.

13. Bike Sure states - You must lock and secure your vehicle at all times when you leave it. Ambiguous!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Yes, well aware of the policy’s shortcomings, sorry small print. Only reason I have the folding camper insured, is whilst towing as my car insurance doesn’t cover 3rd party liability if it breaks loose and nor does the recovery element cover recovery of the folding camper. I have 2 different locking wheel nuts for each wheel, 2 highly visible (if not particularly effective) wheel clamps and a draw bar clamp that has a dummy tow bar ball. Not going to stop the determined scrote but should slow them down :D Andy

• Like Like x 1
  15. This has been on mine for 4 or 5 years, though mine worked slightly the other way.... because I lock the bike (quality chain and anchor) in the garage, I have to also use a mechanical device when parked other than in the garage. They did warn me of this though.

I still get completely screwed because I have two addresses, my main one being in London. Despite my bike never going near that address and me offering to sign a disclaimer to not claim if it ever went missing within 5 miles of that address, the insurance company unsurprisingly insist on considering my worst postcode!... Oh... and despite insisting that I have commuting cover even if I only use it for one day of the year, they will then refuse commuting cover because they cannot understand how I can commute when I have to drive 50 miles to get to the bike first!!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information