Rounded Off Allen Bolt - How To Get It Out?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by MrAliT, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Hi All

I have a set of Nissen callipers which have one of the pad retainer pins stuck fast. The Allen key hole has been rounded out and I've had to cut the pin to get the pads out (the pins screwed anyway) but I'm keen to get the bolt out and replace it so I can have a working set of callipers.

I've cut a slot in the cut end of the pin to try and get a screwdriver in there but its still not shifting. I don't want to heat the calliper up and ruin the paint on them (they're in extremely good nick).

20140924_110438.jpg

20140924_110444.jpg

Anyone got any tips?

Many thanks

Alistair

2. If you have a dremel, grind a flat surface either side and used spanner/mole grips instead of screwdriver.

I'd still put them in the oven for a while. Paint should remain okay.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hammer a Torque (Star) drive into it - one that's a tight fit. Works every time for me!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Get a star bit the next size up(the latest fixing type head) bash it in and see if you can loosen it with that. If that fails drill the head off remove caliper and get mole grips on remnants of bolt.

5. It won't fail, never has for me, but I am a Ninja :Happy:

6. Use a really long bar on the handle of the driver you use to turn the torx driver (Socket type) that you have hammered in. the hugely excessive force should break the seal easily!

7. Right tried the Torx method......Hammered it in as far as it would go and it mashed the head....its pretty fuckin' tight! I'll stick it in the oven.....any tips on what gas mark? I'm off to get a grinding wheel for the dremel!

8. Impact driver - battery or manual - but if manual, make sure you know how to use it properly otherwise you can hammer away at it all day to no effect!

9. Feel your pain

image.jpg

10. Ah, your not a Ninja :(

11. A pack of extractors is only £10 from screwfix and it'll make that job easy as pie.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Try 100 degrees, wear gloves ;)
    Paint should be fine whatever it is at this temp, a lot higher should be OK too if needed.

13. Tried the impact driver.......still not shifting. Dremel next.....got to flat off enough just to get some mole wrenches on there I reckon

14. It would appear I am not no ;)

15. If you have a welder, I'd weld a pin at right angles to it and use that.

16. well fortunately you have still a fair length of pin sticking throo,,, there are a few options worth a try,, first I would try a pair of mole grips on the pin, rock back and forth sometimes breaks the rust,, or a set of nut splitters tightend onto the pin,,, try to thread on a nut and if you can get it to grip at all as you tighten it may loosen off the pin,, then there is the weld option,, either slot on a nut onto the pin and put a tack on in or put a nut onto the allen side and put a weld round the inside,,the heat from the weld will also help .. either way you will need a competent welder,,, a wet rag round the painted section will prevent burning...G L

17. i have a butler, chauffeur, gardener and chef - do you think it is now de rigeur to have a welder on ones payroll as well? One will have to recruit accordingly. Pip Pip.!

• Like Like x 1
  18. +1 they helped me out no end with removing the cheese spec aluminium bolts on my old GSXR

19. I tried the impact driver but its not shifting.............

Do Not Sell My Personal Information