Scam Ads

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by hill100, Dec 20, 2022.

1. Recently when looking on the forum, the first ad that appears is "Heater warm your room up in 2 minutes" This is for a mini heater. I checked out its reviews which nearly all say that its a scam. Its only 50 watts ( they don't mention the power in their bumf.) and couldn't heat a cupboard. I realise that forums rely on ads for revenue. But do they have any control of who buys the space?

2. Get the plugin for "AdBlock Plus", saves allot of pain!

3. Or subscribe. It’s only a fiver! It helps the forum and ensures you won’t see a single ad

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Totally agree. IMHO It’s the best bike forum there is and the price of a pint to keep it solvent seems like a complete bargain.

• Agree Agree x 7
  5. Back on topic - I don’t imagine that the forum gets a huge amount of control over the ads that are pushed its way.
    Personally, I stick with the old adage, “If it sounds to good to be true …”, and go through the reviews. I believe it’s my responsibility to at least try not to get conned.

• Like Like x 2
  6. I too would suggest subscribing to the forum to get rid of ads £5 for 12 months

:)

• Like Like x 2
  7. I renewed my subscription, a fiver for the year is almost free by todays standards, the site was pretty much unusable with ad pop ups and screen junk and that was just the few minutes I had to spend logging in to pay!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Just for comparative information, the general metabolic rate for an adult is 75W sensible heat and 55W latent heat. Therefore 50W from a room heater is utter bollocks.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. £5 the price of coffee amongst friends
    I imagine most of us have made that £5 back in some shape or form

• Like Like x 1
  10. Money saving tip - invite 20 people to your home, 15 if they’re sweaty types, for every kW of heat you require. The money you save in heating will more than cover the cost of a subscription to the forum. This way you kill two birds with one stone.

Step aside Money Saving Expert.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Not so wally, as you may well require comfort cooling as a consequence. Additionally there may be dehumidification costs on fresh air plant. This is besides the additional costs of sustenance and cups of tea which will require additional energy consumptions.

Laws of Thermodynamics. You just cant beat them.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. People who don't want to pay £5 but at the same time object to ads I suggest that you try running a forum. There are costs involved and getting the site for free comes with the down side that there's going to be some way of raising a mere dribble (very small sums) of revenue from your page views. Or maybe you'd just like everyone else to pay for the server, hosting, software etc?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Hmm, I see. OK, my idea may need some refinement.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. £5 a year for subscription works out at £0.01369p per day. Hardly breaking the bank is it? :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Maybe the sizeable lump sum is the problem and a monthly payment plan might ease the financial pain of parting with a whole £5 in one go.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information