Short Rider Advice

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Scots Laddie, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Hello, newbie here and I haven't purchased yet.

I'm looking for a new bike having not ridden for a while and I particularly like the idea of Multistrada 1200S. However at 5'6" the seat height is an issue. I've sat on 2013 bike which was just too tall as standard and I've also tried 1200 DVT which was much better due to the lower narrower standard seat. Unfortunately the DVT costs more than I would like to spend and I'd ideally like an early 1200S.

Having done some research I'm aware of the OEM lower seat, the Sargent seat which is a little lower again and also the lowering kit that FTR suspension offer.

I'd like to hear about anything else out there such as a UK alternative to the Sargent seat and in particular from any owners of a similar height about their experiences and how they have found it long term.

2. The new Multi has a adjustment to make the seat lower doesn't it?

Btw thread moved to the newbies section :)

And Welcome Dave. :upyeah:

3. Yes the new model has an adjustable seat height and a low seat option.

Is the newbies section really the best place for this? I know I am a newbie but it is a Multi specific post.

#3 Scots Laddie, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Welcome, do you know @finm he lives up your way if your still in Scotchland :)

5. Lyme Regis, what happened there :Wideyed:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  6. Hello and welcome into the mad house shorty

What about a scrambler ET has one of those :)

Watch out for the locals they can't read :Bucktooth:

Put your newbie hello in the newbie area and your multi question in another as I'm not allowed in technical threads :Sorry:

Oh are you thinking red :Clown::Muted:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I am 5'7" and have literally this weekend just bought a 1200 GT
    It is tall - I have put on the lower seat but its still tiptoes
    I cant paddle it around using both feet - but can using one
    That said, the rest of the pulling up etc seems fine - I just use one foot
    TBH I hadn't realised but I always pretty much use one foot anyway even on my sports bikes
    I realise some care is needed but its do-able
    I am very very impressed with the bike and especially the skyhook and riding modes
    It isn't an 1198 but its certainly a brilliant thing to ride and I think perfect for touring / commuting
    I say go for it!
    Welcome BTW ;)

8. Thank you for the welcomes.

I like the Scrambler but unfortunately it doesn't have the wind/weather protection or power that I'm looking for.

I did originally post in the Multi section but it was moved to here.

I'm not too fussy on the colour but I'd be quite happy with red.

I've always previously had sports bikes and did just put one foot down with those.

The new bike would be mainly for commuting (60 miles a day on B roads). There are a few very steep inclines on the roads around my home and my concern is having to stop on these. I'm not sure if the ball of one foot is good enough, especially with a bit of camber too. However I'm struggling to come up with any alternative bikes I would actually want.

9. It's not down to your height but your inside leg measurement.

I'm 5'6" and with the Multi's seat on the lowest setting I can get both feet comfortably on the ground.

I also have the 899 and can get both feet down fairly easily. The Scrambler is a doddle as the seat height is really low.

10. It's not the inside leg measurement that is the secret............

.............it's the width across the crutch;)............and the COG and weight of the bike.

I'm 5'-6" and used to ride a ZZR1100 without issues, but a low seat Harley Wideglide or a Gold Wing was impossible..........to get one foot on the floor past the footboards, I had to lean the bikes over so far, I couldn't hold the damn weight.

.........and I took 1-1/2" out of the seat of my SS, but that's because I have the higher profile tyre on the front and I wanted to make sure I got feet down a bit more than tiptoes.

11. Yeah you're right, I gave my height as general guide. My inseam is 30".

As I said I tried the 2015 Multi and that was a lot better and I could probably manage that just on the low setting without the low seat option. It's both lower and narrower which made the reach to the floor more manageable.

12. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. And that too ;)

14. Is this your standard opener for anyone north of the border ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. pretty much. like i said, they int the brightest but their ok ish :smile:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. I'll fit in just fine then :Wtf:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Watch out with Sargent seats. I had them on my GS and Multi and while they're fantastic quality and very, very good for long distance touring they are wider than the stock seat so you lose out on any height reduction advantage they offer.

Also, lower seats screw up the knee/leg room so you could be adding discomfort.

18. Yes :D but you know him now :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Might be worth pming bradders - he had one of the previous generation 1200 Multistradas and is not the tallest rider. One thing to watch is riding modes - apparently the "Enduro" setting on the suspension makes the bike taller, which I know has led to an unpleasant surprise for one or two shorter riders when coming to a halt and finding the ground rather further away than expected!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information