Should I go for a 750/900 or not?

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by freebird, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Hi All

I'm no spring chicken and have been riding since I was 16 having owned 30 odd bikes. My latest is a 1994 600SS that I have had for a couple of years and absolutely love it. Before that I had a 600 monster, my 1st Duke.

600SS 3.jpg

I know this is a lame reason, but as much as I love riding the 600 which goes pretty well for a "tiddler", I prefer the symmery of the double discs and exhausts of the 750 or 900. Adding both to the 600 is an expensive business.

However, before I go shopping I remember reading many years ago that the 900 can be snatchy and tough to ride round town with it's dry clutch and all. A 750 would be a fine compromise I think, but they seem to be thin on the ground.

Many of you will have lots of experience here so I would appreciate your honest feedback.

Cheers

Glen

600SS 3.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hi Glen, I bought a 2001 750SS ie a couple of months ago.
    Overall I'm impressed with it, but it wouldn't miss a little extra power.
    First thing I did was to replace the engine sprocket with a 14T one to lower the overall gearing - much better round town now (and better acceleration!)
    Can't comment on the 900 I'm afraid, but I would have gone for a 1000 if I could have found one ;-)

HTH

3. Thanks for the info Muzzer, I did the same gearing mod on my 600 - loads better than it was.

I prefer the looks of the earlier bikes (each to their own!) so it will be a 900 rather than a thou.

Glen.

4. Go for a 900 and avoid Towns ! Great fun I've got 2 MK1 Sl's

5. There's been a few on the bay over the last few months there is a SL on there at the mo that ant alot more than a 900ss and seems good value too. There is a 91 900ss in the back of practical sportsbikes that I would like to make a pair of 750 and 900ss, start saving the pennys me thinks.

6. Glen, I have the same predicament as you, love my 600 but just a crave a bit more, I think the looking and scheming is sometimes more exciting than the actual buying, I really don't think upgrading to a 750SS is worth the bother, I would save up and buy a decent Superlight or why not consider a 748?

Everytime I look at my little 600SS stood there on its paddock stand in the garage I just think "naaaahhh, I'll keep it" it cost me bugger all and still 17 years later it looks fab! I am lucky I have a bit of space, so I might keep the little 600 and buy a thumper to go and get the papers on, or I might buy a 900 SL or I might buy an old Kwacker Z650, or I might buy a 748, or I might go mad and buy an 848.......

#6 Carlos Fandango, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I'm going to have alook at this 900 this afternoon. 10,000 miles with 6 months MOT. I would be interested to hear opions on it's value. 900SS Nearside.jpg 900SS Offside.jpg

900SS Offside.jpg

900SS Nearside.jpg

8. I have had 3 900s, a carby and 2 injected and I also have an old Pantah that now has a 750 engine. Given the choice get the 900. It is lumpier for sure but has loads more torque and is both easier and more enjoyable to ride in my opinion.

9. Bear in mind that the 750 has a 5 speed gearbox, and the 900 has 6speeds. I think that there's very little difference in low speed handling around town between the two. The 900 is the way Ducati always wanted the supersport to be, so its always going to be the one to have.

10. Slightly different situation, but.....
    I bought my 750 monster in preference to the 900 for exactly the reasons which you mention, ie less lumpy around town and the wet clutch is easier to live with.
    After 6 or 7 years I still don't particularly hanker after the extra power of the 900.
    In fact I have come to see the bike as the best all-round roadster ever built, and its a definite keeper.
    Mind you, I do tend to avoid the faster roads in favour of the twisties, so all out power is seldom required.
    Had I bought the 600 I think I would be finding its power to be somewhat lacking by now.
    My biking experience is probably similar to your own .....beginning in 1970.

On the other hand, although mine has twin discs, I think a single disc would be adequate and, personally, I rather like the lopsided look of a single can.

11. Well, you can call me "Two Duke Glen" now 'cos I bought the 900SS above this afternoon. Knocked him down from £2100 to £1800 - thought that was pretty good.

It's only done 10,000 miles backed up by MOTs and is actually less lumpy, but not massively quicker than the 600 (gonna check to 600 hasn't got a 750 lump tommorrow as it's always seemed quicker that it should be). The clutch is fine, just a bit rattly with the lever out. Can't wait to collect it now!

• Like Like x 1
  12. The 600 is not as slow as people think, read the MCN review and you would never buy one, its slow for a sports bike, but still quick enough for a bit of Sunday afternoon fun and quick enough that you still need to concentrate, the 900 only has another 20 bhp so not surprised you didn't feel it was massively quicker than your 600.

13. True enough. I really think the 600 is under rated.

14. Bought my '93 750ss last year and still absolutely love it. I won't be swapping it for the forseeable future. It has plenty of power for overtaking and is still faster than me.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information