Skipped Items On Service Intervals

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by freshage, Oct 1, 2024.

1. Edit: I got an updated service interval from Ducati, I was wrong. The forks are at 45k for my model. Document in below post.

I recently got my 30k service done on my MTS 1260, as part of that service, the fork oil is changed along with a number of other items outside of the obvious Desmo service.

I've found out that only the desmo valve adjustment was carried out on my service and I'm being told by Ducati that fork oil isn't until 45k... Which directly contradicts their own servicing intervals printed by Ducati.

For example, after my 30k service, I noticed the clutch fluid was untouched and in a shit state so I did that DIY. Rear hub bearings haven't been touched so they didn't even check, and they don't even clean the bike anymore :(

I've found this happening on more than one occasion where Ducati will simply do the bare minimum and not follow the scheduled service operations at all. More an FYI as it's just pathetic that we pay this money for shit service. In short, go indie or DIY, the Ducati garages are just like the rest now, rinse the patron for every penny without doing the work.

#1 freshage, Oct 1, 2024
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2024
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Definitely. Whilst a bike is in warranty it might be advisable to get service done by a Ducati Franchise to avoid any arguments. Not sure if bikes are covered by the same legislation as cars where indi servicing, so long as done to OEM spec and using OEM parts, doesn't effect the validity of the warranty.

Of course finding a reputable indi can be a problem. Have to book mine months in advance.

#2 Bumpkin, Oct 1, 2024
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2024
  3. I guess it's how it always was: there's not so many of the really good guys, and they are always very busy.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. For the Multi with DVT motors (2015 on) and the V4 the fork oil is on a 45000km/27k mile schedule. Prior to that (upto 2014) it was 30000km's/22.5k miles. May have had a tweak since the first print? I don't recall if I'm honest, but the info I have is up to date.
    No excuse really to not do the hub though. That's part of the DESMO service., and brake/clutch fluids is a no brainer really on a job that size, even if only "to do the right thing".. as is a clean and polish.

To answer Charlies question..... No. Bikes aren't covered by the block exemption that covers the cars. Whilst in warranty, it's a condition of the warranty that bikes are serviced by the manufacturers approved service outlets.

5. Yep, I came to correct my self as I just got this from them... Indeed the 1260 (and 1200/DVT) are at 45,000 km for fork oil and not part of the desmo service.

Attached Files:

6. Is it though? As a dealer you may have a more comprehensive list? It's not shown on the Scheduled Maintenance sheet that I work from and @freshage uploaded above. Mentions a hub bearing check at 12 months/oil service but assume that's just a check for movement. Did my own last year, it needed it. Quite an involved job to strip clean, lube and reassemble.

7. It’s not that clear, but the operation “Check the cush drive damper on rear sprocket and lubricate the rear wheel shaft” is the operation that covers the strip and lubrication of the needle bearings in the hub and the clearing out of the crud in the swing arm. Some of the operations aren’t as clear as they could be due to translation. Some aren’t that clear in the manuals either……
    The hub bearing check, is just that… a straight forward check for play in the wheel bearings.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Ah, OK. Thanks for clearing that up @nelly. It makes sense now, as you say somewhat lost in translation.

Having bought the Sykes-Picavant circlip pliers and a tube of the required grease I'm setup to contuine to do this job myself. Given the time it takes me to do this task meticulously, probably one a half to twice as long as the allocated time I'll continue to do so. It's not hard except in the case of my previous bike getting the axle out eventually required a 'special tool' in the form of a thick stainless steel frying pan, a big nylon faced hammer on the end with the nut on backwards and some brute force to drive it out... Should be quicker next time with this 'knowledge'.

#8 Bumpkin, Oct 2, 2024
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2024
Do Not Sell My Personal Information