Snatchy throttle

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by steve848, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Hi all

I have an 848 which I love, and a ZZR1400 (which I also love!) i use the ZZR for 2 up (and every time I ride it I wonder why I have an 848) and the 848 for being out on my own (and every time I ride it I wonder why I have a ZZR!)

I rode a Panigale at Beaulieu ride in on Sunday as both myself and my missus would like to trade both current bikes in against one......we have used the ZZR for touring but now have our own business and so very rarely holiday any more.

I wasn't that impressed, although to be fair it was an accompanied group ride, but at low throttle openings the bike was awful....surging and snatchy to the point of almost dangerous on a damp roundabout. Two up it would have been very uncomfortable for a pillion.

has anyone else had this, and is there a cure? On the few occasions I got to open it up (and i mean few) it seemed to be a cracking bike.....although the £2000 retainer for damage was a bit daunting.....

I will be trying one on a more extended test when i get a chance, (hello Ducati Wolverhamton probably!)

2. Quite apart from holidays, do you really want to go 2-up on it? Ever?

I wouldn't go anywhere much two-up on the 999 - it totally unsettles the handling thanks to rubbish weight distribution when you perch 60 or 70 kgs high up at the back. It's really not designed for it.

It's not even weekend-awayable. Where would you put the luggage (and with a wife you'd need to tow a trailer)?

Stick with what you have (you love both bikes) and save a packet of money (and your marriage).

Incidentally, which cheek was your wife planning on getting on the pillion perch - the left or the right? :biggrin:

3. Yes, the throttle is snatchy at low revs and on initial throttle pickup. It needs refinement. Up top, once above 5k revs it is fine, very responsive and well fuelled but just not happy low down. You need to slip clutch to get a smooth transition to power low down.

This bike needs work. It is awesome in some regards and flawed in other areas. I don't understand the throttle issue to be honest, as the others are all still relying on ECU injection, so the cables are only opening butterflies that are then subject to fueling, so not sure why going to a fully electronic throttle has resulted in such a snatchy throttle and so much throttle free play, that you can't tune out.

Am going to iron out the bugs in this bike! It has potential.....

4. I hated the Pani I rode for a test. The issues discussed here were evident on the test bike, but not the handling that seemed sorted so if that can be fixed I'm sure the fuelling can be too.

5. Hi Roy, What did you really think to it ? especially the engine as i know you have owned the other top dukes ?

6. Roy,

So you weren't a fan huh??!! Hard to be sure though, with you sitting on the fence like that!

It is true that the bike needs some work, but it is quick-as-you-like at full throttle, and is very light, so I reckon once worked out, it will be good. Either that, or I will chop it in for a 1098R and turn my 848 into a track bike I can actually get on track. Bloody noise limits! I have two bikes that fail already......

How's your RSV4? Had a track day recently with three there. Lovely bikes, but all three had mechanicals all weekend. Only one ran for one day. One ran for half a day, the other for none of the time. It wasn't a great advert!

I ran out of fuel on the second session on the desmo. I was concentrating so hard on learning new track, desmo being a bit quick already etc, didn't realise I had already done 40mls in session 1, so ran out in 10 laps! oops.....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Steve
    It wasn't like riding any Duke I've ever had before, it wasn't just me, Gavin shared a similar view after riding a Panigale.

After years of learning to ride Dukes using the torque and keeping up corner speed I could bin all that and ride it like an IL4 from the East. I'm sure that will appeal to lots more riders who've grown up on Japanese machinery and whilst that might make it a sales success it removed the whole character of the marque. The engine vibrates, a lot!, not the deep throbbing vibration we know and love, but more high frequency, I found it annoying. I guess that is a consequence of the higher revving engine and that number of power pulses is required to give the max power output?

The Desmosedici is still recognisable as a Ducati when you are in the saddle, you can ride it the same albeit you need to be going a lot quicker. If you close the throttle it's like dabbing the brakes on other bikes, I found that's missing on the Panigale. So it becomes more rev the nuts off it, hit the brakes hard and tip it in, it has a two stroke like jump in power so trailing throttle is pointless, get the revs on early and let the electronics worry about the back end. To get me to buy one fix the fuelling and smooth out that lump on the dyno and it will be a revvy vibrating bike that looks gorgeous and rides like a Japanese bike, I'll miss the low revving torque characteristics from previous bikes.

Could I grow to love it? I don't know. I don't want to be one of bevel crowd that derided the rubber band bikes when they clearly had their benefits. Ducati's have changed their engine characteristics very rarely, this is quite a change from what I'm used to. I don't think that makes it bad, but it does make it different, very different!!

I would certainly echo Gavin's comments after riding the v4 Aprilia as he fled plod in France. Why buy a Panigale S for £20K when you can get other sports bikes that are faster, more fun or have more character for 1/2 to 2/3rds the price. I'd buy a 1098R first I think.

8. Has anyone tried the Panigale with a full open exhaust, properly set-up on a dyno ? It cured all the fuelling problems and lumpiness at low revs on the 1098R and 1198S.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information