Sportsmart 2 Vs Rosso Corsa Vs Power 3?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by andyp79, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Hi folks.

I'm needing a new rear tyre for the 848 and have had a tough time deciding what to go for. I ride 95% road with 2-3 track outings a year. Road riding is nearly all sporty and for fun, but I need a tyre that will cope with wet and cold conditions too but not a daily tyre. I absolutely hated the OE Supercorsas, they just needed to be ridden too hard for my liking and at the time of year I had them on they never got properly hot. I used to love the old Pirelli Diablo Corsa / Corsa III on my last bike (GSXR 750) but switched to Michelin 2CTs and went to Power 3s when I got rid of the Supercorsas on the 848.

I love the Power 3s but they do seem to lack outright grip and feel when I'm really going for it and I've heard lots of good things about the Rosso Corsas that make them sound like the tyre I'm looking for. I also read a bit about Sportsmart 2 and they sounds great, but I have a total fear of Dunlops somehow. It's pretty much irrational, but tyres are all about confidence aren't they...

How do Rosso Corsas go in the wet and cold? I don't do much riding in these conditions but I lost all confidence with the Supercorsas when the weather wasn't ideal and don't want to repeat that again. If the Rossos rock on track and for medium / fast road riding but can do ok in the wet without scaring me, I think they're the right choice. But the reviews of the Sportsmarts all weather performance intrigue me.

Maybe I just stick with the Power 3 and just replace the rear as I'll get until next summer out of the front and then look to change the pair together making the most financial sense? They do all I need but maybe not quite as well as they could...

Any help would be great. Hoping to go to the tyre shop tomorrow. :)

2. Listening in here, I have almost the same issue, wanting a tire for my track-999 that will handle both dry and cold/wet (but not pouring rain) tracks without the need for having a separate set of rain wheels.

br

Jim

3. they recon the new metzeler m7rr tyre does all you require may be worth a look,

4. Hadn't even considered Metzeler... I'll go and have a look at them, thanks.

5. I've finished off sets of the original SportSmart, DRC, PP3, and just last week finished off a set of M7RRs.

For 95% road use, 5% track, my rankings would be:
    1) M7RRs
    2) PP3s
    3) DRCs
    4) SportSmarts (gen1)

If riding use is more 50/50 road/track, the rankings change:
    1=) M7RR
    1=) DRCs
    3) PP3s
    4) SportSmarts (gen1)

The M7RRs move the game on for road use. Beautiful tyre with excellent transition edge to edge, lots of feel, and superb grip and stability in the damp at high speed (100+).

DRCs are slightly more responsive in comparison, but do not benefit from quite as strong wet grip. Brilliant feel, light, and stable for track use however.

PP3s offer immense assurance for road use and in the wet. However, the carcass design is a little too pointy (sudden drop in to corners), and the compound construction overheats on track giving an unnerving 'squishy' feel. On the road, the soft rubber compound feels like it is chewing into the surface - this endears it to slower riders who feel this gives greater assurance. It's easy to overcook PP3s, however, on the road when pushing hard. YMMV.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  6. Personally I like my Rosso Corse's , heat up quick and give good edge grip , also a hell of a lot better in the wet than the SC's :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Thanks guys. I'll go and read about the Metzelers but looking at your rankings Spareparts, I think the DRC's are what I'm looking to try out. The Supercorsas were awful for me but I think the PP3s are a little "slow" feeling and DRC's get so many fantastic reviews that they must be good. I just don't want to have the problems I did with the SC's in the wet and cold, but I was new to the 848 and it rained constantly while I had them on, plus it was between -1 and +5C a lot of the time so I think this just conspired to rob my confidence. At the moment, I'm edging towards the DRC's.

:)

8. Easy to feel that PP3s are 'slow' - the compound is to blame for this.

DRCs still one of my fave tyres without a doubt. They work in the heavy wet too as I've run them as a wet tyre at Silverstone with no issues.

SCs only really work on track as they need a lot of heat to work properly.

9. Those Metzelers looks very interesting! If DRC's work in the wet, then that's the tyre I want though. I really loved Pirellis before and the Michelins definitely feel like they could be better, although they are superb.

I'm gonna call and get a price for the DRC's and ask the guy is he knows much about the M7RRs. Thanks!

10. Remembering of course that Pirelli actually owns Metzeler so the construction is pretty similar, dunno about the price though ;)

11. Yes, Pirelli own Metzeler, but the carcass construction and compounds are VERY different between the DRC and M7RRs.

Andy, if you want a tyre that works in the wet, the M7RRs offer superior grip compared to the DRCs.

12. Right, a wee update.

The tyre guy here in Aberdeen is first class, so I gave him a call and asked for prices and some info on the M7RR. Basically, his response when I asked about the M7RRs was "aw, they're mega like!" He said he's selling loads and the feedback from all his customers is incredibly good. I had a look and was a little worried they were too much like a road / touring tyre than a supersport tyre but if you're telling me they rank equally with the DRCs on track but handle wet well then it sounds like win/win.

Prices were interesting too. For a 120/180 pair DRCs are £241 and the M7RRs are £220. Both ride in, ride out, fully fitted.

Hearing what he said and reading that you have the M7RR top for both 95/5 and 50/50 riding and they work in the wet, plus they are new technology means they are exactly what I want. Going to get them fitted tomorrow after work.

Thanks guys! I hadn't even looked at Metzeler. Track session next Friday and some scratching and commuting in the meantime to break them in. Spot on!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Andy, I'm in Aberdeen as well , where are you getting the tyres fitted ?

14. Sillett Tyres on Holland Street mate, used to use him years ago when I was at Uni and he's the best about in terms of price, attitude and availability. Having tried bike shops all over Scotland he's the man to go to for tyres. Or Strathearn Tyres in Crieff if I'm at home, but it's about 30 mins each way on a good day. Sillett is 15 mins from my work so if the bike's here I use him every time.

01224 638408

:)

15. Is it sad that I get hugely excited about getting new tyres?

16. Naaaa not at all , just have to hope they stay rubber side down :)

Cheers for the info as well , been looking for a trustworthy tyre chap instead of running off to Ducati Glasgow

17. No worries. I don't tend to use a bike shop for tyres, I try and go to a tyre guy that only does tyres but you need to choose with care as a lot of car places do bikes but I'm not a fan of them at times. This guy is good and does bikes but also cars, rather than the other way around. He knows about the tyres too rather than just fitting them.

DG are superb but it's a long way for a tyre. ;) I've never used them for tyres yet as the bike is usually in Aberdeen. If it was at home though I'd be sure to give them a call.

18. That's good to hear as I have had wheels damaged by heavy handed tyre fitters . Remember to let us know how the tyres feel after a high speed blast through Sma Glen :upyeah:

19. m7rr 120 front 200x 55 rear £225 delivered fwr spot on job cheers boss

20. From the same guy I mentioned?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information