V2 Sprocket Sizes

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by aviating cud, Mar 5, 2022.

1. It’s probably been done to death but I can’t find anything in the search so here goes. I’m looking into fitting a new chain with either a jt or renthal sprocket carrier with renthal sprocket but would like to know what size rear sprocket people have used and the length of the chain used. I believe there are issues when dropping the front sprocket by-1.

2. Much better to adjust your drive ratio at the rear sprocket ..... IMO

Dropping from 15 teeth to 14 on the front sprocket means about 7% more contact with the chain
    .... so the front sprocket will wear out 7 % faster

I've played around with this over the years and I don't buy " closed " chains anymore
    ....much prefer to buy a length , with one link more than I reckon I'll need , just in case .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Will a 44T or 45T fit and clear the swingarm? Keeping the 15T front.

4. Yes. Just put a 45 T on mine. Needed a chain 1 link longer.

5. Cheers for sharing the info. Did you go down 1 on the front? Thanks

6. I was going to, but I thought I’d try the +2 rear first.
    If only cos I couldn’t get a stock renthal rear to go with the -1 front.
    Not ridden the bike yet.
    For info - you need to break the chain to get the front sprocket off. Ive got a -1 front and a spare link in case the +2 rear isn’t enough.

• Like Like x 1
  7. You don't need to, but it's an absolute pain if you don't

8. Did you go down 1 on the front? I can’t remember what you said regarding gearing when I spoke to you at oulton park last year.

9. Yeah 1 down in the front, kept rear at 43.

10. Have you had any problems with the auto blipper and qs? I’ve heard people having problems with -1 on the front but may have been unrelated.

11. Problems with the blipper seem unrelated tbh and pretty common, and random. I had issues with mine, inconsistent blipping, i.e big shoves of power, and sometimes just wouldn't shift, it even seemed to get totally jammed one day and wouldn't even return the lever. I don't think it's got anything to do with the actual gearing, perhaps poor chain tension would contribute to issues but not the gearing itself

12. Cheers for the info. I’m thinking of -1 and +1/2 on the rear. Not sure whether or not to go with JT, Renthal or Afam. Any thoughts?

13. Yes, but not because of that, my issues started before. Turned out clutch rod was scored and gear selector rounded.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I agree that changing the rear is better for longevity. I've changed the gearing on all my Ducati's which are geared too long.
    However, dropping a tooth in front is a cheap way to gauge how you like the change which is best done when your chain and sprockets are in their mid-life.
    Notwithstanding, I changed the rear (+2R) on my Multi at the first 600 miles service. I just couldn't wait.

#14 DarR, Mar 31, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. BTW - reporting back - can recommend +2 on the rear. Done 600 miles and acceleration is significantly better. I had luggage on the back, but in sharp acceleration the front end came up in forth.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Up in fourth?
    Just yanking your chain ;)
    index.jpeg

17. Seldomly Discussed
    We all know about the obvious benefits of changing the long gearing namely: acceleration and using our 6th gear.
    However, there's also another benefit. In fact, it's a big one that's extremely useful namely: Snail Speed Management.
    A gearing change is especially beneficial in Stop-N-Go situations. You won't have to slip the clutch as often.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. This is very true. Tis much easier now at slow speed.

19. Yes indeed ..... totally agree !

Minimal cash outlay , and a whole lot less spannering compared to changing the rear .
    I happily traded max speed for the gain in acceleration , and the cherry on top is that the bike
    is so much easier to manage in city traffic .

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information