St2 1998 Model In Norway

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Christophe Lopez, Jul 9, 2024.

1. Hi there!

I just bought a Ducati ST2 1998 model and I am reviving it.
    It has been standing for 5 years, so I made a bunch of service at a Ducati workshop and try to fix things by myself now...

• Like Like x 3
  2. We need pictures, please:)

3. Welcome and enjoy!

4. IMG_7390.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  5. Hi and welcome into our mad house :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. The bike is looking good!
    I like the ST2, I have one too, it's a good compromise just as the name says..."sport touring".
    The only thing I don't like about it is the dry clutch...the mechanical noise isn't nice. But there is a trick to get a silent clutch! :)

7. I've heard that using this "trick" is punishable by death, though that could be just a rumour...

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. :grinning::grinning: I'm going to try it... A silent clutch would be a real pain killer, although for many purists it's like swearing in the church...:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Only worse!
    Only worse!
    Welcome

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. :joy: Thanks!
    On a second thought, since I nowadays also have the MTS 950S, I've decided to remove all touring related stuff from the ST2, and put on the very loud carbon fiber silencers...so I will probably not hear the noisy clutch anymore...!! :innocent: :laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Actually, I am having quite an issue with it. One morning, 2 weeks ago, the pump stopped priming. I have been checking fuses, relays, cleaning connectors… nada… impossible for me that doesn’t have the necessary electrical knowledge to find the issue… grounds look good, wires too… so I am bringing the bike to a Ducati workshop next Tuesday… I am very curious to know what it could be. Lucky for me, the precedent owner is coming with me, so we will see who pays the bill since he told me that the bike was fine to drive (I already expend more than 2500€ in service)

12. Not much electrical knowledge is needed to check if the pump is getting 12V. Don't remember exactly what it looks like under tank, but by disconnecting the connector to the pump you could check the 12V feed with a test light or multimeter.
    With the multimeter you can also measure the resistance in the pump motor. Zero Ohms or close to zero would indicate that the pump motor is shorted and needs to be replaced. But first check is to see if 12V and ground is reaching the pump.

13. 12V isn’t reaching the pump. But the pump works when connected to the battery directly… I haven’t check the ground to the connector though…

14. Ok, now you can start tracing backwards to find what is stopping the 12V supply to the pump.

15. Actually, when I remove the relay, the pump starts and won’t stop… could it get some power trough the ground wire connector due to a short in the harness loom?? I have to test that theory, I didn’t think about it until now…
    The bike has been to a Ducati workshop and they told me that all the elements are ok and it’s very possibly a short in the harness loom somewhere…

16. Very strange behaviour indeed.
    With no relay there is no way the pump should get 12V. You may be on to something with the ground wire. If you have 12V there, and get 12V via the relay, the pump won't run, because you have 12V on both sides of the pump. ST2 pump.png

17. The thing is when I remove the other relay, then I get power to the pump… I put it back and no power. And the power comes immediately a last as long as I don’t put the relay in contact again… it’s very weird…

18. I am changing the all back harness loom. The large front left connector was broken when I bought the bike and full of white/green oxidation. Same thing on the connector from the regulator on the right side, third thing, the connection from the stator to the regulator was burned. I imagine that all that together can have lead some wires to melt together somehow inside the harness loom. But anyway, I can’t just change the left connector, so I have ordered a new harness loom from eBay. I already got it and I looks much better than the one I have on the bike. Not so “dry” and stiff. My St2 has been in storage for 5 years and I can imagine that the wires have develop some rusty welding points etc. my hope is that the ECU is still good. The bike was going fine until it got a bit of rain. The day after that, no priming, no spark and probably no injectors either. It already has some difficulties to start when I got it though…

19. IMG_7555.jpeg

IMG_7551.jpeg

IMG_7556.jpeg

IMG_7560.jpeg

IMG_7562.jpeg

IMG_7563.jpeg

IMG_7561.jpeg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information