749 Starting Electrics

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Lord Grumble, Apr 6, 2024.

1. Can anyone give advice on this: I have a 2005 749s that I now can't start. Last year after turning the igniton on the instrument panel would go through its sequence but then occasionally leave the battery symbol illuminated amber. The bike would then do nothing at all when I hit the starter. After turning the ignition off then on again everything would be ok again, the panel just leaving neutral an oil lights illuminated and firing up without trouble. This year the battery light stays amber but hitting the starter turns the engine over. Last week the bike would fire up after a couple of times and the amber light would go out after a few seconds but now it won't fire at all. The battery is new and fully charged and I fitted Exact Start starter cable upgrade kit a couple of years ago which has worked brilliantly until now. The bike is fully serviced and runs great when started. Help!

2. Battery
    Fuel pump relay
    Fuel pump wiring loom

Use search function for 749 starting issues there's lots of info on here you'll be fine and all doable diy

3. I would test things first with a good battery (or cables tied to another vehicle running).

4. i think i would also be taking a look at the connections to the instrument panel for evidence of water ingress and there is almost defo an earth wire that bolts on the engine ECU mounting. is it clean and secure.

5. thanks everyone

6. does anyone have any pics for the fuel relay mod,where its moved to a better location

7. there should already be a rubber strap in situ on the outside of the battery box. you can view it on the left side as youre looking at it

8. sorry dont want to derail OP thread

9. Cheers will have a look

10. I made up a patch lead and moved mine right up to just inside the fairing panel so that all I need to do to change it is release the two Dzus fasteners and pull the panel out a little.

I've had so many issues in the past with these relays on my 1000ss and M1000 that I wanted quick access to it at the side of the road and always carry a spare.
    Although I've not had any issues with it on this bike at all.

It can be seen here just below and to the Right of the forward Dzus fastener receptacle.

PA190001.JPG

11. Like that mod looks good

12. Turns out my starting issue which started this thread was the beloved fuel pump relay. Gtec (Market Harborough) confirmed the originals are crap and he's replaced it with the new version which he says is bomb proof.

13. Did he mention the make of relay ?

14. No: I'll try to find out.

15. I would be interested to know too as I'm just starting to clean, rebuild, restore my 749 on its 20th anniversary.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information