Stiction - 1299

Discussion in 'Suspension help' started by Count Dukeula, Feb 20, 2023.

1. Hello all

After watching DMT videos I came across stiction. Not knowing what it was, although the names a give away, I realised my front forks were sticking and Dave's video validated this.

I noticed it when setting my suspension up with a friend that the forks wouldn't move back up once I got off the bike.

Anyway, I'm booked in with Ducati Oxford where I bought the bike. I'm unable to get there until march 13th, was supposed to be this morning. I'm hoping this is a warranty repair, but will see.

Anyone had stiction on theirs?

2. 2 things… I wouldn’t believe everything Dave moss says…

2… I wouldn’t go ANYWHERE near the Ducati dealer around Oxford, book it In at motorapido if it’s anything other than oil changes that an apprentice can do

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Interesting reply, I like Ducati Oxford and I'll be staying with them.
    Now back to stiction...

4. I agree about DM Vids.

5. The fork stiction typically is high because they are a really big fork, like the old MV F3 ones that were too big, it compromised the travel of the fork. The reason they aren't returning, is because either they have way too much rebound damping and it's not letting the oil pass, or they are bent... if you push them down and they don't come up I'd say the latter.

Even so, as direct as my reply was, if that's the case, and the forks aren't even returning to resting position. Do you honestly thing a responsible dealer should have let that bike out the door?

The forks have their limitations but many have had years of happy experience with the 1299, so your issue is either badly set up forks or they are bent. Either way, hopefully Abingdon will sort it out.

6. Or when the bike was built up from the crate the pinch bolts on the bottoms of the forks were nipped up before the forks were bounced a few times to settle the fork bottoms into the correct position on the spindle.
    Hmmm, who did you say you brought it from;)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Just for my own information, could the same occur if you set the preload too stiff?

8. no :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Most likely forks twisted in the yokes if it isn’t moving at all when you take your weight off the bike. I don’t know about your new fangled bikes, but on older stuff it is also possible for the uninitiated to impart a side load unintentionally on the fork by fastening the fork bottoms up in the wrong sequence (nipping up the fork bottom that slides on the axle before getting the other side fully torqued)
    I can’t imagine anyone paying someone else to sort this.

10. Essentially when I climb on the bike when it is in its chock, the front forks do not move at all. If i jump the front up and down it will settle and that measurement is 35mm from fork top.
    When I get off the forks remain, I then lift the front by the handle bars and it will move up. There is some slight settlement when I let go, but not much.

However when I leverage against the side stand, the wheel does drop a little.

I'll remove the rebound and compression and see if the forks move freely when I get on. I have the obligatory cable tie in situ so it should be easy to measure that part. If without any of the aforementioned dialled in, it still sticks without a wiggle, then its definitely stiction.

Regarding your opinions on Ducati Oxford - I make my own opinions of businesses from my own experiences. They have done nothing to me that warrants anything negative. I'd appreciate it if you keep this thread to Stiction and not about a dealer, you can make your own thread for that.

Thanks for replying.

11. Some videos for those with the technical knowledge and don't mind offering an opinion

Video 1 - no rebound or compression dialled in.

Video 2 - rebound at 6 from close and compression 9 from closed

Rear as I was there

12. How much pre load have you got ? Andy

13. On the front forks. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thanks for asking, 8 turns clockwise from fully open Andy.

15. Sounds like your talking about the static sag? The weight of the bike on the suspension. When you lift the bike and unload the front, then the forks extend a little?
    The way I was shown to check for stiction and or a bent stancion is with the forks disassembled, top cap out and allow the outer tube to slide down the fork. That will show any appreciable stiction on the seals and/or bushes. If it stops, that usually points to a bent leg.
    I'll be honest.... doesn't sound like you've got much of a problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. And hopefully I dont

I dont think the videos are great as you cant see what I'm doing. Perhaps I've got stiction wrong from the DMT video.

When he was measuring sag, The forks wouldnt move unless I made them move. Compared to his bike, albeit a 600 honda, his front forks would move when he sat on them and when he got off they moved back.

Would appreciate knowing if others are like this.

17. With 8 turns of pre load, your first video makes sense. As Nellie just alluded to, IMO my first port of call would be to start again, no preload, no compression and no rebound - all fully out anti clockwise. You should then have as free a movement as you can get over a decent distance, lifting and then pushing down on the handle bars. If your forks stick at any point now, yes you have an issue which isn’t necessarily a bent fork leg. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Super. Thanks for that.

I'll make another video when I do. Appreciate the help.

19. ..and maybe slacken the axle pinch bolts, etc too, so you're absolutely certain that they're not influencing the (lack of) free movement.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Have they ever been serviced? Nothing like some fresh oil.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information