(super)bike posture?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by sburrows87, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I am never really truly comfortable riding my 748 which is fine as I understand it's a radical riding position, however I was wondering what the 'ideal' riding posture or position is as I have read various different things online (weight off wrists, weight on pegs, grab with legs, etc) but nothing conclusive that I find really 'works' but it may be that I'm doing it wrong?!

I find it really difficult to squeeze the tank with my legs too for any period of time - it doesn't feel natural. I am also aware that I am very heavy on my wrists which obviously hurts after a while. Finally I suffer a lot with vibrations through the pegs making my toes tingly and numb but rarely see anyone else with this problem so I was also looking for advice on how to position my feet to alleviate this a little - maybe I need to put more weight through the pegs?

I know the 748 is no Tourer and I wouldn't want it to be either I bought it for what it is but I want to work on my posture to feel better on the bike...

Anyway, any and all sensible advice will be gratefully received!

Cheers,

Sam

2. Get some lift in the bars, heli bars or something lie that, it makes a huge difference

3. I've never had much vibration through the pegs on any of my Ducatis. Are you sure it's working properly?

I generally find them comfortable when zooming around twisty roads, and highly uncomfortable when adhering to legal limits.

Or shouldn't I have said that?

4. Hi Sam are you quite tall? Italian bikes have never really fitted even the average Englishman's height well. I currently have an MV where I had to fit extended clip-ons in a more forward position to help my back to rest in its natural position. I hope you can find a way of achieving this on your classic bike.

Cheers

Nigel :smile:

5. 998 only comfortable above 60 when airstream supports chest

6. Gliddofglood, minyo: Yes, the bike is much more comfortable at 60+ as the wind on your chest supports you better and helps take the weight off a bit and Gliddofglood the bike should be running pretty well, serviced over winter with fresh oil, belts, etc etc - I do wear alpine stars SMX+ boots though which have a very thin sole, not sure if that isn't helping...

italianbikelover: I'm fairly average I guess at 5'10" so not overly tall

7. Best to take up horse riding then, cause that'll properly sort out your posture, loosen up your wrists (ducky) and you'll have to grip with your knees whilst steering with your lower legs or you'll be off, good exercise too. ;-)

8. Swapping the clip-ons over makes a helluva difference or so I'm told. Just leave the bars in situ and swap the clips upside down, simples ... A cheap and effective alternative, if a bit fiddly to execute, allegedly.

9. Funnily I had the same with my toes on the SS they went numb. I thought it was just me. The position I guess for me meant my toes rested on the pegs
    I think the positions on these sports bikes end up tiring the wrists anyway.
    I found I was able to grab the tank more with my knees by moving closer to the tank
    I'm sure there are good solutions to all of these

10. Thanks for all the advice so far guys

Ducbird: Hmm, so its not just me then that suffers from 'numb toe' syndrome?!

11. +1. That's the nub of it.

12. Nope or me. It's even worse as a pillion for some reason I think it's because I sit toes on peg same as riding :-/

13. Has anyone got and advice specifically regarding foot pressure and positioning please?

Also, royum, I think the reason I struggle to grip the tank with my legs is the fact its so narrow, anyone else find this?

14. Only grip the tank if I'm on track, and even then not all the time

Do suffer from numb feet and hands sometimes. Bar weights helped reduce it in my hands and I ride a little duck footed if on a journey; never seems to happen n a fun ride oh a boring cove distance one

Do Not Sell My Personal Information