Suspension Question

Discussion in 'Suspension help' started by Adam Bell, Feb 24, 2023.

1. Had my service , check over and MOT on the 1299s today and towards the end the guy was rolling it out and he could hear a slight knocking noise as he hit the front brake.

Now if you hold the head stock the bearings are good. all bolts are torqued to spec so not that.

We then put a hand round the blue preload on the Ohlns shock and as you brake you can just feel the prelod part move slightly , like a mm or 2.
    Any ideas on what this is or is it normal. bike rides fine, electronic suspension works fine.

Might be nothing but might be something.

thank you

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Was it repeated knocking or just one knock?
    can be many things of course, but pads can move slightly in caliper on some occasions and symptoms most likely to hear this are as you describe. To try and confirm you could replicate the way you produced the sound, but moving backwards. Also, if it is brake pads moving slightly then if you carry on forward slowly straight after first application and brake again, it might not do it this time.

3. Hi,

i thought pads at first but then when you hold to preload at the top you feel it move a bit

4. My multi s, both of them, used to do that all the time. Both from brand new.

5. It’s common on Multistrader
    Ive had a few in my workshop now for this issue , Ohlins sell an upgrade, it’s basically a washer that fits inside your preload adjuster, and strops the knock

6. This may not be the issue you have, but just in case.
    I used to own a Monster 1100S and it always had a noise, similar to that which you describe, coming from the front end.

I stripped the forks down, didn’t know when they’d last been serviced, and discovered the preload adjuster nut had not been fully threaded onto its rod (presumably by someone else when reassembling who’d been in there previously). Bother the nut and the rod had been stripped.
    61541ABF-8055-4502-9119-4F6D4BFC3D07.jpeg
    683319EC-F32A-4303-BFD9-BE9431275936.jpeg
    I cleaned the threads up,
    077EF793-D518-43E5-917C-18F06193D022.jpeg
    reassembled - properly - and all was good thereafter.

• Useful Useful x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information