1260 Suspension Set Up

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Steelboss, Jul 11, 2020.

1. B598E30F-D880-4AFF-A915-CFF2AF1283DC.jpeg
    Took the pikes peak over to https://www.ssr-suspension.uk/
    All set up by Mark Standley Who obviously knows exactly what he’s doing.Id got it almost right, but his tweaks and changes have taken it from great to outstanding. I wondered how much difference there could be between skyhook (on my previous 1200s DVT) and properly set up Ohlins, well I can now tell you it’s huge. Skyhook was excellent, loved it, but this is in a different class (cost too!)

£45 well spent.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. My 1260 is manual suspension, care to share the settings ;)

3. I’ll take mine over in August mate get new tyres on first

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brisk 240 mile run today, can’t tell you how much better suspension felt. Plush, planted and confidence inspiring. Lots of feedback and no “moments!”.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Interestesting to hear the feedback on suspension. I got my first service completed on Saturday and had my first, er, spirited run (226 miles) back from Edinburgh. I figured any wallowing or nervousness only needed dialling out with smoother riding, even in sport mode. And that's probably still true, but perhaps not the whole story.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. You have ‘Skyhook’ suspension manufactured by Sachs whereas the Pikes Peak has non electronic suspension manufactured by Ohlins. You should however still benefit from a suspension set up for your weight and riding style preference by a professional. Andy

7. Small head :thinkingface:

8. Exactly...
    Having had both its much easier to compare pros and cons.
    Remember this is only my opinion and others may not agree, so briefly:
    Sky hook = soft, comfortable, dived a lot under heavy braking : responded to a small degree after professional set up. Wonderful to tour on and to be able to “on the go” flick into sport mode for spirited rides.
    Pikes Peak Ohlins = Totally different, much more sporty, confidence inspiring, turns quicker, at very naughty speeds simply gets on with the job in hand - needs professional set up if you’re not a GURU but only 45 / 50 pounds. The massive difference in cost shows. Rolex vs Timex, both tell the time etc etc.

#8 Steelboss, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Interesting analogy, not thought of it in those terms but spot on. Andy

10. I can't imagine the skyhook system is massively cheaper than the ohlins!

IME the skyhook gen 1 was better than gen 2 for adjustability. Gen 2 needs a spring change if you are outside the 'regular parameters' really.

11. I would have thought that the bulk of the cost of the Sachs Skyhook will be the electronics and not the mechanics. I appreciate that both manufacturers will have produced units to a budget so cut costs by not using the best materials but IME, the Ohlins mechatronic set up on my gen 1 Multistrada is far better than the Skyhook on the DVT I rode. Not sure if that will be 1st or 2nd gen Skyhook. I have a loaner organised for Friday whilst mine gets a post run-in oil and filter change, might be a 1260S so be interesting to see how things have moved with time. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  12. pre-dvt was better IMHO. Not as plush but way more controlled. Trackways on the 2013 model were easy, the 2016 model was more fun because it was so out of control all the time!! Until I crashed. That wasn't fun at all : unamused:

13. One tells the time, one tells the news :thinkingface:

14. :no_mouth:

15. Auto spellcheck ;)

16. Yes, good point!

17. Thanks for the tip....I am looking for somewhere to take my 1260 Diavel......its a bloody long way from Surrey mind, but I need a service from Ducati Coventry next month so I guess I can make it a long day out :)

18. HM Racing are good with suspension, as are Moto Rapido and Pro Twins in Godstone - the latter two could do your service too.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information