748 Swingarms

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Bullitt, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Stumbled across this whilst searching the web for some parts.

https://www.forza-moto.com/en/p/2646+ducati-genuine-swingarm-for-748r-748rs

Now I always thought that the 748/9** era bikes all had the same swingarms. Clearly not!! The part no. given for the above is 37010142A and the part number from the Ducati spare parts manuals (inc 748R) is 37010141A. Now I don't believe Kevin has these numbers wrong as he's an astute bloke, plus the number is printed on the side of the box..

So, it begs the question - RS models apart (that swingarm is 37010242A for the 998RS), did Ducati supply two different street swingarms for this series of bikes?

2. IIRC, the 748RS construction rules required the rear shock absorber mounting point had to be the same as the 748R whereas the 996R that used a longer swing arm, the rules allowed a different mounting point, hence the different rocker. Don’t know enough about the 998RS to know if it used a longer swing arm. If it did, not sure a 748RS swing arm would fit the 998RS. Pretty sure 996R and 998R shared a swing arm. As I get older though, my memory isn’t that reliable :D Andy

#2 Android853sp, Feb 10, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bullitt, if it helps that part number (37010142A) is listed for MY98 and MY99 748R as well as MY99 748RS. The difference could be as simple as a different mounting arrangement for the chain guard as the fiches clearly show that swingarm has a different design of chain guard (46011091A) from all the other 748/916/996/998 bikes (44610021A). It was fitted to MY98/99 748R as well as the 748RS, 996RS and 998RS

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Interesting.

I have the spare parts catalogue for the '02 748R, shows part number 37010141A for the swingarm, with chain guard 44610021A - this I would take as standard street components for the entire era of bikes 748 base - 998R inclusive (RS apart) as that what it shows in the parts manuals I have.

Can you upload a screen grab of the 748RS fiche? Or even better, send it to me please?

I'm trying to establish why the 748R & RS would have different swingarms? Also, the swingarm part numbers given for the 996RS (37010241A) & 998RS (37010242A) are different but use the same chain guard, tie rod, sliders, carbon guard. Only the shock and rocker assembly seem to differ.

So, if we go with Andy's theory, I assume (probably wrongly), that Ducati used the same swingarm until they stopped racing them at factory support level, hence the the same swingarm on the R & RS, but didn't need the strength/length from the RS. Once no longer needed - I guess after 1999, the 748R was supplied with the standard 37010141A item.

Any thoughts?

5. A quick search through my picture database shows very clear pictures of the 748RS swingarms. The chain gaurds are the same. See below:

Red 09.jpg Yellow 04.jpg
    @Denzil the Ducati, is this what is shown on your 748R fiche?

I'm not overly concerned with this, curiosity has got me and I can't figure out why Forza are selling theirs for €580, other than it's NOS..

6. The picture of the chain guard on the 748R is not the standard one. Certainly not the same as the one on my 748R. Next time I fire up my desktop, I’ll try and dig out the parts catalogues I have found over the tears. Andy

7. That's because they're RS'.. ;-)

Should look like mine on my S..

IMGP2519.JPG

#7 Bullitt, Feb 11, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  8. Where’s a face palm when you need one :joy: Andy

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Bullitt, your 2 photos show the RS style chain guard which is listed as being fitted to the MY98 and MY99 R models as well as many of the RS bikes. The 02 748R has the same chain guard fitted to most of the road bikes in the 748/916/99/998 series as shown in the photo of the S. One difference for the RS style part appears to be an additional threaded boss and screw inboard of the sprocket to accept the rear chain guard mounting screw, this is not fitted on the standard swinging arm/chain guard as shown in the S photo.
    The key is understanding that components vary through a production cycle, usually by MY but often because they had parts already supplied or under contract that needed to be used up. Sometimes the parts varied through a MY so the parts fiches commonly available are often not correct unless you have the parts fiche that precisely matches the MY, Model and production date of each bike. For example there were at least 4 updates to the MY02 748 fiches between April 01 and April 03 as they went through the production run and some parts fitted in 2001 were not reflected on the published fiche until its final update in 2003

Try this site for researching part number variations specific to MY and model Ducati Spare Parts (morningtonmotorcycles.com.au), in some instances it lists two or three part numbers for a specific MY and model. You can do model, Model Year and part number searches. Search a part number to open the fiche, then click on the part number line. It gives a drop down option that includes View, press that and it shows all the models the part numbers are listed against
    I use the following site for referencing part numbers as the parts are updated or the numbers get superseded/become obsolete. Search – Ducati Omaha
    There are other parts reference tools available and better information from one or two folks in the trade on this site, or call the spares gurus at Moto Rapido.
    Have a play, search using part numbers then and see what you can work out

#9 Denzil the Ducati, Feb 12, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  10. Thanks for the info and links, makes for interesting reading.

Yes, there were a number of variations in the last years of production for the 748 series, and no doubt the 998 until phase out in 2003. Base (E) bikes being delivered with the 5 spoke wheels as they had run out of the Brembo 3 spokes. S' being delivered with Ohlins steering dampers or rear shocks, again, no stock of showa items.. granted, it was rare, but it did happen.

I still think there has to be more to it than there simply being a different chain guard from the unused parts from bin kicking around that needed to be used up! The retooling or swingarm modifications cost for a plastic guard seems rather excessive and expensive - but hey, that's Ducati and they are Italian.

The swingarm that is on my 2003 (52) S, is the very same part number that was used on the 1994 916. Why on earth would Ducati have a different swingarm part number for a very limited period? So they could put on a chain guard that was first used on the 916R in 1998 from a totally different swingarm? Maybe I guess..

I know a man who I can ask. Plenty knowledge about these bike. I'll report back!

11. I know a bit about this!

the homog’ was to lengthen the swing arm by 5mm or so! It improved straight line accuracy of the bike and a cornering issue!

The difference in the part number is purely to distinguish between the bikes due to weight distribution, so the 748 shock linkage is in a slightly different space and time from the 996.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks Smithy. Certainly makes sense!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information