Test ride?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by LAW13, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Anyone know of anywhere Worcestershire based that has 748, 916 or 996 available for test ride?

Am looking to get 748 and appear to have heart set but want to confirm will be somewhere near comfy first! :-o

2. Comfy ???? Not a chance on a 748/996 mate .....

3. Well, it's got somewhere to rest your bum, if that's what you mean by comfy.

I suggest you ride a Bimota DB1, if you can find one. Then if you can stand that, everything's comfy.

4. Dont put him off, its totally subjective. I am no youngster and I am fine for 200 miles runs on my 998. Needless to say I wouldent go touring on it though.

5. You're right. I was just kidding.

I used mine to go at least annually to my parents' place in Gascony. From Switzerland, that's over 900 km, (say 550 miles) most of which is not motorway. I used to do it in a day, pretty much only stopping for petrol.

Also went to Valencia on it, and touring all over the Dolomites and bits of France. In fact, there was a time when my bike would rarely leave the garage without doing about 500 km in the day, over twisty roads.

But I will say, that when I got back on a 916 after having a 749 and 999, I did find it a lot more uncomfortable. A couple of years ago (so I would have been about 49) I toured on my 999 all around Scotland (right up to the far north and the Western Isles) starting here in Switzerland. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again (if I had the time and money). Comfort is not the limiting factor.

But comfy? Well, not exactly plush.

6. Comfy possibly not the best word I could have picked... Want to see if feasible.

Oh and won't put him off, it's she ;-)

7. You can test ride mine if you leave a 5K deposit!!!!!!!

8. Hello then too she ..... I've just got emm ( pixie ) a 748 ..... I found my 996 spot on more so than the previous mille but if your fit/healthy who cares about comfy ..... Go for it you'll love it .... Have a try out on an 848 too

9. You can BUY mine if you leave a £3700 deposit!!!! then you can test ride it as much as you want.

Seriously, Ive toured on mine with soft luggage and not found it too dramatic as long as you dont spend too much time in towns.

[​IMG]

10. Oops, so am I :upyeah: Well I am getting as bad as the rest of them with the usual assumptions, ah well:frown: You are right to try one anyway.

11. Just another thought, Law, how tall are you? A female friend of mine 5'5" tried the 996 for size and whilst she could almost put a foot flat on the floor, she couldnt quite reach the bars comfortably and was nearly at full stretch. Not saying you will be the same but its something to consider.

12. Emms 5'2" but I've lowered it and she's got Daytona lady star boots , we struggled with the 749

13. Thanks all. I'm 5'7" and have tried some various ones for size, seem ok reach and height wise.
    Just want to find a dealer with one for me to ride before I commit.
    Looked at a 916 today and the guy was a bit of an arse as he doesn't appear to want to let anyone test ride before they buy. Not surprised he's had it in showroom a year.

14. Luce the 996 is lovely to sit on and easy to ride the bit I did anyway 
    Found it easier to turn slowly than the SS too.
    Seemed comfy as a pillion

Thought it would be too fast for me at the time

Happy birthday by the way :)

15. If you're young and bendy, they are fine.

If you're old and gnarled, they're not.

That's about all there is to it. But the 999 series is more comfortable (can't vouch for the 1098 series as haven't ridden one) and the riding position is somewhat adjustable.

16. Get a 996S!!!!! There bleeding laverleeeee

17. I bought my Ducati 748S last year, thinking I'd better get my first sports bike before I got too old (I'm 64).
    I ignored all the information about how uncomfortable they are and concentrated instead on the look and sound of the bike combined with the handling and performance. A year on, no regrets, it's a brilliant bike and as to the comfort it can't be that bad, a couple of weeks ago I rode 450 miles in a day from SW France to just north of Le Mans on Routes Nationales. The fun of the ride was compromised by the 8 hours of rain but that's motorcycling some days.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Oh well if your going there you may as well go the whole hog and buy the best........................a 998S:biggrin:

19. Rare too , I've had 3 x 996's got rid of my S to get the 848 ......... I miss her!!!!!

20. The only time riding one becomes a literal pain is in heavy stop start traffic/around town/slow speed riding.

Once you are motoring the riding position is spot on.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information