The worst possible news......

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by midlifecrisis, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Not quite the worst possible news (but bad enough)

I had to go to see the doctor yesterday because I have been suffering from a painful elbow and forearm for the past couple of weeks. His diagnosis was tendonitis, probably caused by the riding position and firm clutch on my 848. I've been using it for commuting for the past 3 or 4 weeks as it was the only chance I get to ride it. This meant I was covering many more miles than usual, some of it in traffic, so was using the clutch quite a lot. I've been given anti-inflammatory gel to rub in to my elbow and arm and told I must rest it - meaning little or no riding 'till it eases.

My dilema is this, should I try to modify the clutch on my bike to make it lighter and even modify the bars or consider trading it in for a Monster with a lighter clutch and a more upright riding position? I love my 848 but it looks very likely that the tendonitis will flare up again if I keep riding it as it is.

Why is life so unfair at times?

#1 midlifecrisis, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  2. I thought you were going to say you had the big C :rolleyes:

A little ointment and a kiss on the elbow from mummy will see you right :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  3. 848 Streetfighter? Keeping the engine but a bit more upright...

4. Oberon clutch cylinder works for me, that will sort you out fluffykins.....

5. or work out and get fitter

6. Why do people complain of stiff/firm/heavy clutches on these? Maybe it's just my sturdy farmer hands but I really don't see the issue. Even when in heavy traffic for prolonged periods.

7. I was the same, it felt ok compared to some of the shed's I've owned over the years, I didn't think it was heavy at all.

Then after a less than gracefull dismount from a Moto X bike, I injured my shoulder. From then on even after a reletively short ride my arm ached from the shoulder to my fingers. I dread to think what I'd be like in traffic, I never contemplated it.

I put the Oberon slave on, as a short term fix so I could still ride and I wouldn't be without it now.....one of the best things I've bought for it. Lighter, smoother and slicker.

Even with the pazzo shorties on the clutch is a breeze even in traffic.

Try one!

#8 XxAnthxX, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  8. It's so good to get such sympathy from other Ducati owners - hmmm.

I have contacted Ducati Glasgow who will fit a new slave cylinder for me which should reduce the effort by half apparently. Sounds good to me. All I need now is for the rain to stop for longer than about 10 minutes.

9. Well,if you wanted sympathy I think youll find it in the dictionary....between shit and syphilis. Let us know how your new mastercylinder goes.:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  10. I'm just glad it wasn't "the worst possible news". Could have been cancer, or a near terminal bike accident or something really grisly. What's a bit of tendonitis between friends? No I'm sure it's highly annoying but just happy it's not life threatening, which, seeing the title, I thought it would be. Phew!

The answer to your question is (a) rest the elbow and (b) refrain thereafter from constantly riding the 848 in heavy traffic. If you're going to commute, get something more commutable which doesn't kill your bod in stop-start traffic. Save the 848 for longer higher speed runs which will reduce the weight on your arms.

No?

11. I'll be sypathetic as I've suffered with this, very painful. Wear a support from a sports shop just below the elbow or an elasticated bandage over the elbow, get a bag of peas out the freezer and rest the elbow on it regularly. A well aimed cortizone injection will sort it out but afterwards be careful not to strain it again. A mate of mine had ops to sort both his elbows out, total success, a few weeks recovery time. When I had this problem I couldn't hold a mobile phone without pain, its gripping things that cause the problem hence the name from tennis players gripping rackets. Mine went away of its own accord eventually although I did have a couple of injections.

12. Sigma slave cylinder fitted this morning and it works a treat. The ride in to Glasgow to get it fitted was pretty sore but the journey home was so much better. The rain even stayed off for the entire time. Result!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yep, replacement clutch slave cylinder transformed my 996. A lot easier around town and a lot comfier experience overall.

£70 odd quid and a little bleeding jobs a good un!

14. diclofenac anti-inflam tablets will reduce any swelling..i should know trust me..you might also want to use an oberon clutch slave i hear theyre very good...certainy on my 'to do' list if i and my 916 get back on the road again.

15. Watch those they give you a dicky tummy ewww

16. Steroid injection the way to go
    Takes the pain away but as said still be careful as you make the injury worse
    I stick with ibruphin to keep my pain at bay 

17. I might be stating the obvious here, and it may not be relevant, but have you checked that your wrist is straight when operating the lever, if not adjusting the levers might help, also reducing the reach on the levers if they are adjustable.

18. this is actually fantastic news.... you have a medical reason for riding on the back wheel for extended periods of time!

19. Tries to adjust the clutch lever this morning but it didn't seem to do much to reduce the span - especially when the little black plastic adjuster knob fell off. May have to investigate new levers if the problem persists.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information