Things to do Alps

Discussion in 'Touring' started by motohype, May 27, 2013.

1. Hello,
    Embarking on a week long trip to the alps starting this weekend with couple of mates. The trip I have planned Munich - Merano - Chiavenna - Sion - Valloire - Sorico/Como - Munich based on 4-5 hours riding everyday and I have used this as reference Motorbike Ride : ALPEN MASTER. If you don't know of the website already, it's fantastic and I planned my trip through dolomites last year using it and can thoroughly recommend it. Now to my question -
    Have any of you done this route and have suggestions - Obvious passes I have missed/ good places to stay/ things to do. We are a sporty bunch and thinking of doing stuff outdoor - para gliding, short treks, watersports etc and good drinking joints :).

2. Looks great, done a fair few of those roads. The one that stands out for me was just off your route, and above St Moritz,is the Davos to Nauders section. It takes in the Fluela Pass. I'm hoping to do it again this year when travelling from Switzerland in to the Dolomites. The route you have past Lac Le Croix, up the Verdon Gorge and past Lac de Castillon is a stunner. The Gorge can be busy with people on the wrong side of the road due to sight seeing and rock overhanging the road! but the Castillon section is literally like a race track, very quick and with good view through the majority of corners. Wish I had enough time to take it in again this year. Also a brilliant route is Briancon-Susa-Mont Cenis-Val d'Isere to Bourg St Maurice.

3. First-rate sports hotel in the heart of the Kaunertal. Assure yourself of the marvellous mountain world. Perfect for your biker holidays. is worth staying at if you haven't got anything booked in that area.
    Cracking hotel, with good scenery run by good friendly folk. Charlie the manager has had a stand at the
    NEC show the last few years.( You cant get away from a few schnaps from under the counter when he recognises you).
    The hotel is part of a set used by the BMW organised tours, so has a fully kitted subterranean garage with pressure wash, tyres and tools etc if you need it. They also have kit drying rooms and stuff too, which I was glad of even in July last year.

4. Thanks a lot. I did the Davos section as well when coming to Zug from the Dolomites. It has fantastic views and some of the best sweeping corners I have ridden on. I am not sure if I will have the time to get to Lac Le Croix but will try to due to time constraints. I am thinking of getting to Cote De Azur close to end of summer in the Autozug train and ride around.

5. The roads around and below Lac Le Croix are bril, plus the Route Napoleon (N85) heading North out of Grasse is fairly impressive. If you can tear yourself away from the fast flowing corners, stop and look back over Grasse and towards Nice airport and the med. Its a superb panoramic view! I'm with you on the Davos corners. The memory of the front wheel skipping while cranked over in fast third gear corners will never fade.

6. Julier Pass to Maloja pass then to Chiavenna, have a coffee there then straight out to the Splugen Pass. If you are a machine then back over on the St Bernardo pass. My route is Chur to to Chiavenna via the Julier Pass and Maloja pass, as the road has some racetrack curves as switchbacks are only fun to a point !!!
    I have been over them all as I have family in Monza and ride there, so know some of the routes.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information