Thinking About Buying A Bike With No V5 - Advice Please.?

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by comfysofa, Aug 28, 2024.

1. As above. Its cheaper than normal, randomly starts sometimes doesnt (the reason its cheaper)...thats not a problem. Theres no V5 with it - ive got the reg number to do a hpi check (while ive not checked yet its apparently clear). Bike is 4 hours away so its not something i can physically check (engine and frame numers and what not) but, obviously theres no V5 to check against.

Discuss....

2. Can’t you do a basic HPI check against the reg number and frame number. Having the registration plate makes it pretty easy to get a log book but for peace of mind I’d want to see some kind of proof of ownership from seller. And take copies of the aforesaid.
    If the price was right and above checks out it would not put me off.

3. Strangely, possession of a V5c is not proof of ownership and sadly, even if you can show you exercised due diligence prior to purchase, if the bike is hooky and they come knocking, you lose it. Perhaps @andyb can shed some light on the how it’s best to check if it’s on a register of stolen vehicles ? Bottom line, how badly do you want it and is it worth the risk ? Andy

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Don't buy it.

5. How much cheaper is it than a full up legit example with all the expected garb?

6. I would advise against buying a bike with no V5, unless you are willing to loose it.
    I know a guy who had a bike stolen many years ago, and he never bothered to register it stolen because it wasn’t worth much (note: it's probably worth something now).
    If in the future, some new owner applies for a V5 on that bike, he'll be contacted by the DVLA.

7. Theyre rare as hens teeth, never come up for sale, this one is 3k, no v5 no mot next one is 5k - a good one will go for about 7k.

8. Kinda on my bucket list of bikes to own...that being said i can walk away from it...last time i asked for permission from the other half for a bike i got a shit load of abuse down the phone...i was expecting the same this time but i got the go ahead...which threw me...i really didnt expect that...kinda put me on the spot...! :)

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Well hes being very helpful....ive done a hpi check on the reg which is coming up clean...hes given me the VIN which doesnt tie up - that being said ive always found vin numbers hard to read - waiting for a photo at the moment.... he did also say if i place a deposit and pay the 25 quid he'll apply for the V5 first before i commit...

• Like Like x 3
  10. Just check it’s not nicked if it had a reg or you can get VIN. Old bikes that have been sat around often have them lost: the issue comes if you don’t have reg as getting one may prove tough.

If you can get reg then get seller to request a new one, or you pay them deposit then order one yourself and collect/pay when you get it

11. Must have crossed as that last sentence sounds perfect solution :upyeah:

12. Vin number now matching...it was just a bit hard to read (one of the 8's was an "S").... hes sent photos over of the plate and the embossing on the frame also...which is really hard to read...!

#12 comfysofa, Aug 28, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2024
    • Like Like x 5
  13. Decision time now....i was genuinely expecting to getting hauled over the coals by the other half...plan would be to fix the starting problem then strip it for a shitload of cerakoating, a full exhaust system, map and thats about all it would need...ive deliberately not said what it is as if i get it ill throw up pics on here - then you can all say "what the fuck did you buy that for...!!?"

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. But it mate :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. You still haven’t said what bike it is…

16. No v5 is no problem, just finding out if it's stolen would be my biggest worry.

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. My question would be: why does a legitimate owner not bother to get the V5 first which would make the bike so much easier to sell, possibly for a better price?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. I would definitely not be too bothered about no V5, some of the HPI companies offer insurance up to 30k if memory serves me right in case it turns out to be stolen later

• Useful Useful x 2
  19. If its 4 hours from you, maybe you can ask someone here to go and take a gander? If its near me I will do that for you. I will also promise not to offer more money -unless its an RGV250 with a 500cc engine in it -in which case we might have a problem!

• Funny Funny x 6
  20. This - 100%
    Summat dodgy here.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information