950 Thoughts On Desert X

Discussion in 'Desert X' started by MaDProFF, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Hi All.

In the market for a mid weight adventure bike, sick of the roads I have to ride on, might as well be riding off road for the most part, so thought look for something that is fairly light, can glide over pot holes and crappy road surface, handle some gravel too, has some punch, and fun to ride.
    99% will be on roads, B roads, and smaller in general, like to push on too, want good overtaking punch. This bike is more for the winter months too.
    I have recently sold 1290 ADV S great bike, but time for it to go, had a few multis in the past, bikes in garage atm, 890 Duke R, and MG V100S Mandello, both fantansic bikes, but harsh hard rides.
    I am 5'-6" inside leg about 30" so stunted and frustrated,
    Bikes most interested in atm, Desert X, KTM 890 Adv, and a Transalp, I have not rode any of these bikes yet, as tbh most are too tall in Demo bike version, and no dealers hold low seats in stock either, but I know most can be made lower.
    I know nothing of the Desert X (except the price, and worse the fact I believe you can decat it, for even a far bigger price, but a lot of weight save and sound great), seen one in the flesh, the KTM, I know would be a great bike, but I have that same engine in the Duke R, as stonking as it is, sort of fancy something different. Transalp not bad looking, dirt cheap, and that engine is supposed to be pretty good.

Anyone, sort of done a few test rides, and then why come to the conclusion of a buying a desert X or not.

Thanks for any input

2. Ok, I'll give you my opinion.

I was lucky enough to participate recently in an event in Italy where I could test ride many bikes back to back for three days, including all the ones you mention above.

Desert X is a fantastic bike, engine is a peach (I had two MTS 950 in the past ,I know it well) and handling on road is superb, however at 5'-6" you will find it far too tall in its standard configuration ( I am barely 5'-8"and I was on tip-toes all the time). Interestingly, I sat on a demo with the lowered supension kit at the Ducati factory store in Bologna and that was actually OK - I didn't ride it but it passed the static test, so to speak.

The new Transalp was such a surprise. Engine is really punchy (I had it in Sport mode ), the bike is nice and light and again the handling is great. Much better package than the Africa twin IMO, which is more powerful but much heavier. Power to weight ratio is similar, suspensions are better in the Africa twin but for all the rest I would choose the Transalp, with the so good optional quickshifter please . Light years ahead from the last generation of Transalps (at some point I had a 2008 XL700, this new one is like a spaceship in comparison).

However my favourite in the end was the KTM 890 Adv, it ticked all the boxes in every department, it felt "right" from the word go, power, handling, ergonomy, suspensions, an all-round weapon which I felt I could take anywhere and easily keep up with the more powerful bikes. Perhaps a bit plasticky here and there, but otherwise an absolute gem. Better than the 1290 Adv, which I found a little too on-off and lumpy (it was in Sport mode, mind)..When asked which bike I would take home I said KTM 890, despite being a faithful Ducatista for many years..

I also tried the Guzzi Mandello, interesting bike once you realize how to ride it , using your body to make it turn like some older generation Ducatis (999,996). Loved the engine..

So if I were you I'd go for a back to back test ride of Transalp v KTM 890, unless you can also get a lowered supension DesertX (which, objectively speaking, is probably the best of the three bikes).

Good luck and let us know.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Really appeciate your reply, but basically you have answered pretty well everything that now I have made my mind up about, I had a good look and sat on all 3 yesterday, I sort of now have deleted the desert x, although my heart says this one, but my head says KTM, which actually was the lowerest height standard, and ofc felt the lightest, pocket says transalp, which I thnk imo looks the best, although love the desert x looks, (dealer has £850 off desert x too) but as I said it is 95% on road use, I know how great the 890 engine is, I will probaly ride the Transalp, and KTM back to back, no one will have a desert x to ride lowered, or no one has a low seat to put on it either.

My Mandello S is a great bike, considering its weight, you can really move it around, feels very light, if roads around here were how they should be I would not be looking for a 3rd bike.

4. Yeah, I feel your dilemma, I had the old 990 SMT which I loved but had to sell as the fuelling spoilt it, personally I wouldn't decide until ridden, I was betweenthe 890 & the desert X but I simply have to have a bike that I look back on and smile, (its such a big part of my personal ownership experience) ... I have owned my Desert X for nearly 12 months now and no it isnt perfect but it is the best all round bike I have ever owned, no I dont off road but it is perfect for my B road and track exploring around Dartmoor. Oh and the decat exhaust has many cheaper options available now from Akra , HP Corse & alike

#4 JimmySP3, Jun 12, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  5. KTM SMT will be worth a look when dealers have done next month.

I wish Ducati would do something similar like a cross between Hyoermotard and Desert X.

6. I have pretty much come to the conclusion even sports tourers suspension is too hard for the roads around here now, well the roads I ride, and even A Roads, and an ADV is the only way to go

7. @Dave is your man. Similar height and does quite a lot off off road touring on bigger Dave tire bikes

8. I agree we need a ducati SMT, the Hyper is too small and Multi too big.....The new SMT isnt much of a looker to me it looks like a parts bin special, the old one looked great & whats all this stuff like cruise etc switched off after first service nonsense? !!!

9. I went for KTM 9890 Adventure in the end, I would have liked to have ridden the Desert X but no dealer going to have a lower one with a low seat as a demo, and no way was I going to ride a standard one. would have been nice to bought another Ducati, but the KTM is an impressive bike, and I love that 890 Engine. Thank you everyone who posted.
    @bradders really need to have a trip sometime been years now

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. 100% mate. Miss it. Getting bit more into bikes this year, so could be up for something in autumn ….

Do Not Sell My Personal Information