Too loud?

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by jay26, Jun 28, 2012.

1. I’m booked on a track day next month which is a quiet day (98db),I know it’s a difficult thing to answer but can anybody say if I will pass thenoise test.The bike is a 748 with remus cans.
    Should I get some db killers or play it safe and put the standardcans back on?

2. I passed a static 101db test at Donington with a full Termi system on my 848. I was told to rev it to 5,500rpm, so I went to 4 and got through by the skin of my teeth. From what I've been told, on a twin you feel the noise more than you hear it, when compared to an IL4 or a Triple.

3. dB killers or standard cans. The reply above is not valid as the rpm was not correct.

4. As said DB killers a must minimum at that noise level.

And if it's snetterton or Oulton good luck wih anything other than std

5. I've ust copied this straight off the Castle Combe website if it helps.

The noise limit for the day is 105 db(A), which is measured at ½ metre from the exhaust outlet at ¾ maximum revs
    In our experience the following machines may NOT pass our strict limits:
    Any make & model of bike with short type side silencers
    Ducati 748/749/916/996/998/999, fitted with Termignoni open pipes
    (but any of the above with standard pipes SHOULD pass)
    Ducati 1098R
    Ducati 1198
    Ducati Multistrada (2011)
    Honda CBR1000RR - 2008 model and 2010 modelon
    Kawasaki ZX10 - 2009 and 2010 model
    KTM RC8
    Suzuki GSXR600 K6
    Suzuki GSXR600 K7
    Suzuki GSXR 750 K6
    Suzuki GSXR 750 K7
    Suzuki GSXR1000 K6 - 2006 model with standard exhaust
    Suzuki GSXR1000 K7
    Suzuki GSXR1000 K8
    Triumph 675 - 2009 model (short type side can)
    Yamaha R6 - 2006 model
    Yamaha R6 - 2008 model (short type side can)
    Yamaha R6 - 2009 model (short type side can)
    Yamaha R1 - 2008 and 2009 model

6. Above only applicable at castle doom. The place is a veritable nightmare with rules they make up themselves. It is not the ACU sanctioned method of noise testing. IGNORE castle doom info unless you are going THERE

7. My 916 SPS just went through at Oulton this week, it's got 50mm Termi's with no noise killers. I had them in the van but decided to try my luck without and it passed. I think the limit was 102db though and I only had to rev to 5,000rpm.

8. I find this hard to understand. Do they line the track with sleeping infants or is it very near a hospital? Bog standard bikes won't pass their tests? Are they sure they really want a race track? Maybe a golf course would be quieter.

• Like Like x 3
  9. The track day is at Donington 98db day so I think I’ll justput the standard cans back on to play it safe, also it will save the carbon cansif the worst happens.
    On the other hand if it’s a static noise test cant I just tellthem it’s a 996 and then I won’t have to rev it so much. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  10. I did Donny last year on a GSXR1000 with Arrow cans. The marshall wont let you on track without either standard cans or baffles / db killers in.

The noise is tested halfway down the back straight - or was last year.

At least 10 blokes were black flagged in the 2nd session as they put baffles in for the 1st time out, then took them out and thought they'd get away with it. They didnt and lost track time.

A tip for static tests, say Cadwell, is to take it for a noise test once the engine is fully heat sunk. My old 1098S with 70mm system failed it first time and the guy doing the testing told me to ride it round the paddock and get it hot. Passed 2nd time round.

#10 riskypicker, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  11. I've never been tested at Donny. I was under the impression it was a ride- by test. 3 sensors out, main one being on the start finish straight.

Matt

12. If it helps, when I did a TD at Donington it was a 101db test static and a 98db fly by test and I didn't get pulled in even with a baffle-less Termi full system on my 848

13. If its donny there is no static testing it's only a drive by the meter is located on the clock gantry so if you think you will fail change gear just before or short shift as you pass it my gixer 1000 didn't set it off with a 60mm BSB arrow full system

14. My 848 with standard cans measured 103db at Castle Combe. It passed at Silverstone but cant remember the results. My mates 848 fitted with termis with the baffles fitted was actually quieter (well stamped at a lower 102db) at Castle Combe.

15. Can you get baffles for a 999 termi exhaust? I'm hoping to take the 999s to Snetterton later this year and don't really want to put the standard box back on. It looks crap :tongue:

cheers,
    Dom

16. i passed at Assen ( 98 db) with a 57mm on the 999R with DB killers
    Assen rear right full 2 (600 x 454).jpg

Assen rear right full 2 (600 x 454).jpg

17. Where did you get the DB killer from Koen?

cheers,
    Dom

18. Sorry but can't tell you Dom ,
    they came with the 57mm package...

i'll keep an eye out for them...

grtz

Koen

• Like Like x 2
  19. i snuck through at cadwell..98db i was rattling @ 105db @ 4000 rpm...i got into a very english row with the high viz steward as a slightly less english altercation ensued with another rider...the steward slapped the sticker on the screen and went to assist his mate...i certainly wouldnt start drilling holes in my cans (ferrarcci) and fitted db killers..no ta.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information