Trackday tires for next season

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by JimDane, Dec 10, 2013.

1. I'm doing a lot of trackdays (19 days in the 2013 season) on a 999S and I am considering a change from Bridgestone R10 to Dunlop GP211 or maybe KR106/108 next year.

I'm after the grip off course but also the wear because the R10 rear tire only lasted 2-3 trackdays and it gets pretty expensive!

Some say the KR is better both in wear and grip and even if it's damned expensive it might be worth it if it last a few days longer.

What says you? Any experiences from trackday use?

tnx

Jim

#1 JimDane, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  2. KR's good grip last 2-3 trackdays.

3. hi, are you on treaded or slicks?

i've used treaded D211GP's for about 5 trackdays (they were scrubs when i got them!)

i have some scrub (British)D211GP's in my garage that need a new home as i have to run Racetecs next year

4. KR are the daddys in terms of grip and longevity.

As to how long they last, it is all up to your pace.

a word of caution is the 999 are on a 5.5 rim. the KR rear is 195/65 which is about 2 cm taller - it may hit ur swingarm or ur hugger

5. I think Cranker changes the eccentric so it doesnt foul the swingarm, but thats on a single swinger, no idea how that works with a T9...goess longer chain and have it further back? May foul hugger too

6. A friend of mine runs the KR's as he gets mega milage and they offer excellent grp.

Going that way on my RC8R in 2014.

7. The KR's are great you can't beat the NTecs but from memory it's only the rear that's an NTec

8. GP212 pro are the cut/road going version of the KR108/106 same compunds but with more common profile sizes so u should have no clearance issues

quote expensive but fantastic grip and tyre life so it all comes out in the wash
    for uk tracks u prob want a 2 compound front 4 compound rear for euro 3 front 5 rear

9. Surely all this depends on your speed and the bikes suspension setup, if you're in novices you could run a sport touring tyre and it would last all year, if you're running fastest if the fast you could use one tyre a day even with a good set up, inters pace there's prob no reason to run a super sticky tyre so you could he away with a fast road one.
    I'm going for the Dunlop 211gp slicks this year and hoping for 2 days out the rear, I'll be happier with 3 tho !

10. I have run the D211 slicks last year, and get on with them really well. They last quite well on my 848 too, but I am quite smooth with the throttle too which helps. I get 5 days out of them no problem.

I also tried the KR106/108 last year, but didn't get on with them on the Desmo as I had to change the setup quite a bit to accommodate the very different profile, and that bike is very sensitive to setup. As a consequence I ended up chasing setup all day and therefore wasn't running at a pace that would have been necessary to really get them to work. But I know a few people who are seriously quick, have persevered with setup on them and love them. I couldn't try them on the 848 as they were too tall and fouled the swingarm, and I couldn't be bothered changing chains etc to rotate the centric hub. That is also a 5.5 rim, so they would have been even pointier..... not sure that's ideal. They suit a 6.0 rim.

But I went back to the GP211 slick as I have a great setup on those already on both bikes, I never want for grip or feel, and they come in both a 190/55 and 180/55 profile rather than the 195/65 super pointy KR108.

This year though, they have changed them all again - and now they are making KR108's in 185 size etc.....

Might just switch to GP212 cut tyres and keep the same setup. Or switch to another manufacturer with similar tyre sizes as changing the entire time is frustrating getting them setup again.....

I do get on better with the Dunlops though than the Pirellis I tried. Never tried the Bridgestones on track.

11. Think I may be running an old set of yours MTB, and they have transformed the turn in on my gixer and try as I may I cant get near the edge of the front...yet....as running out of ground clearance everywhere. And grip...boy they grip!

12. Bradders,

You may be as I sold them on after spending all day trying to setup the Desmo and getting bored and putting the others on.

They don't lack grip do they?! Nor do the GP211 slicks, but I know that the KR's have even more. But as you say, if you have a slow steering bike, they are super steep and they suddenly make it fall over right onto it's ear in a heartbeat - but on the Desmo that was a nightmare as the bike was already super sharp. So I spent all day trying to "calm it down" to the point where I could ride it - and consequently I was going slower not quicker as the thing was such a handful..... but on a Gixxer they would be perfect.

The more rounded profile front and rear work better on the Desmo as it is razor sharp anyway, especially trail braking into turns, as you don't really want to not be confident on that bike as you tip in! Expensive errors.....

I have a mate who tracks his Desmo though, and he has adjusted the ride on his Desmo and got them to suit his style and the KR tyres and he loves them. I think he also goes for the "cannot have too much grip when tracking this bike" approach!

Maybe I will have another go now that the GP211's have run out, but I still have two more sets in the garage to use up first - Almeria at the end of Jan for three days will be a good start! Valencia in May.....

Roll on sunshine and summer! Hope Ducati UK manage to run a dry event at some point this year. Would be nice to see a few of you out in the sun, rather than us playing submarines like last year on full wets.....

13. After being on Diablo and Metzler equiv slicks, where I was off the front tyre, these are so much better. Only prob I found was, as I am a pussy with the new bike and not carrying enough speed, I wasn't keeping em hot enough some sessions and losing a little psi when I came in. But get a bazazz fitted for TC, get bit more aggressive with throttle and should be in :)

although at £300 a pair, its going to be pricey!

14. I replaced my tyres on my 749 when i was in Brno, the only Track/road tyre i couyld get out there was the Dunlop Sportmax. I was using normal road tyres and they were ok, however never really had the confidence to push them too hard. This sportmax were chalk and cheese in comparison and now find myself pushing that little harder, I say this for my level of riding which is now I feel inbetween Novice/Inters.
    I to will look for more tyres this year and was thinking slicks but then I want the durability of a tyre wear also. I really like the feel of the Sportmax, but was tempted to go for the Super Corsa SC2/3 or the Metzler, but thinking for my level of riding I should stick with what feels good, but if I don't try other tyres I will never know. My Sportmax has one and half days in Brno, Full day Brandys Indy, Silverstons GP 3 sessions, Partly wet, and they still look good

So where do you all buy your tyres from??

15. I drove the entire 2012 track season (9 trackdays) on my 916 trackbike with Sportmaxx Sportsmart tires and they were still fine after the season :eek:

I have bought my Bridgestone R10 here: https://www.mopedreifen.de/V2/englisch/splash2/fs2_splash2.html

I think I will stick to Dunlop D211 GP Racer this year, both my trackbikes have 5.5" rear rims (999S and GSXR750 K7) and I really like 180 rear tires as I think 190 gets too slowly into corners. I will have to choose between slicks or cut though, I am not convinced that I will be fast enough to keep up the temperature on slicks.

br

Jim

16. Ordered some Dunlops for the coming season.

Went for D209's for the RS250 Aprilia and KR's for the RC8R TRACK.

Anyone ridden at Aragon?

Apparently hard on tyres, will you get 3 days on a rear?

17. Went through 2 rears and 1 front at Aragon over 3 days. Very grippy surface, but the 211s were superb there

18. Thanks
    What I thought.

Will take a spare set or at least a rear.

You do get more laps from a KR apparently.

#18 Gregory, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  19. Used Dunlop gp212 s last year really good .

20. Old thread but I thought I would pitch in - have just ordered some Pirelli Superbike pro slicks - their trackday version - longevity is supposed to b very good so we shall see

Do Not Sell My Personal Information