Tyre Wear

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by mike willis, Mar 13, 2024.

1. I'm looking at a mini tour of northern Spain, boat to Santander, across to Santiago then down into Portugal next month, then back through Seville and back to Santander
    I've had the bike serviced and they noted the tyre tread depths as 2mm rear and 1.6mm front.
    I doubt our trip will be more than 2,000 miles, do you think there's enough rubber left or should i change them before I go, riding solo with light luggage so should be good on wear.
    Any advice welcome

2. Personally I wouldn’t try and get 2K out of tyres with that depth left. I did years ago and came back from France with the wire showing. I’d be looking to change without the planned trip.

Without being a gloom merchant if you ride back and get stopped that’s 3-6 points.

Wouldn’t you rather go on fresh tyres and not worry about tyre wear?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Wishful thinking I guess, hoping it may work, I do like new rubber though.

4. IMO, most definitely not. Andy

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I’ve found continental roads to be more aggressive than is the case here so wear rates vary. Maybe it’s the higher temperatures in more Southern climes?

There was a pair of GT Angelsfor sale on here for £100, maybe they’d work if they’re the correct size?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I'll probably stick with what's on there now, never let me down

• Like Like x 1
  7. I whole-heartly agree with that @DucatiScud says. I wouldn't be considering setting off on any trip of that magnitude without fresh tyres, or anything more that 1/3 worn ones at the very least. Finding new tyres and getting them fitted whilst on a trip will be inconvenient at best. Either that or limping home on worn out tyres, did that once years ago, tipping out of the chunnel on a bald front tyre in the pissing rain, in the dark with 150 miles to home...

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. If i was panning a few days out from here then I would get my moneys worth, not worth the grief getting them changed on the trip.
    Thanks for the advice.

• Like Like x 1
  9. You can always have them refitted, once you're back and the new tyres are shot, to get the most out of them. Though I must admit; I always intend to do that but usually don't bother in the end... and I have my own tyre changing equipment...

10. New tyres.

• Like Like x 1
  11. That thought crossed my mind but I doubt I would bother, It would end up more clutter in the garage.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information