1200 Uneven running problem

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by EddieDeguello, Apr 2, 2014.

1. [I posted something about this in Another Place, but it seems like I'll get a better response here...]

Picked up my brand-new Multistrada about 11 days ago, and I'm generally very happy with it, but it seems like there's something not quite right...

I stuck a couple of hundred miles on it the first weekend that seemed fine, but then I started using it for commuting and it didn't seem so happy.

The engine's stalled a few times from idle (sometimes when it was hot), and the throttle pick-up from low revs seems very uneven (but I think that might partly be too much free play in the cable). If you blip the throttle gently a couple of times, the engine will just die. I've had it die when I've been going into a corner, blipping the throttle on downshifts, which isn't much fun...

However, the really nasty problem seems to be something like carb-icing, when it was wet and cold last week: an uneven jerky feeling at a steady speed, even around 4k rpm. And it doesn't seem to rev as cleanly as I'd expect. The problem seems to disappear once the bike's had a chance to dry out.

Both problems happen in every 'riding mode', so it's not just a comparative lack of power.

The dealer had a quick look at it last week, and couldn't find the source of the problem, but at least agreed that something wasn't right. They're going to try to get in touch with their Ducati technical contacts to find out if this is a known issue.

It's booked in for its first service tomorrow, so they'll have a bit more time to check it over, but does it sound familiar to anyone?

2. I had similar problems with my revs jumping around all over the place when i got my 848 (second hand).
    At stand still they would vary from 800 (any lower it would cut out) and 1700.
    Sometimes when you blip the throttle it would cut it out too... never had while riding though as i was cautious enough to keep the revs up, but used a tonne more fuel in the process.

Anyway... i called a guy called Rich at LOUIGI MOTO. A top glass guy to deal with i must say. .
    He found my oxygen sensor throwing up random readings so took it out, plugged the hole, remapped it and brought it back to me ... and now it is spot on!

Ducati wanted me to leave it with them so that they could swap parts from another bike... at £66 per hour.

Im not saying that is your fault, but reading your post it does sound familiar

3. Sounds like symptoms related to the EXVL exhaust valve, but cant see it been that if its a brand new bike!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thanks for that. I'll drop it in to the conversation when I leave the bike for its first service tomorrow. As it's brand new, I'm just going to keep taking it back until I'm sure it's right, and the dealer can argue with Ducati about who's paying for the labour, because I'm certainly not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I thought that opened around 6000rpm, doesn't it? Or are you thinking that it's open when it should be shut... in which case, wouldn't that give some sort of error?

6. Can cause various running faults and doesn't always show up as a fault

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. My own bike (2013 GT) has also died on throttle blip. I think ill check the zorst port this weekend if I can, just to be sure.

8. Mine went through a period of randomly cutting out but only as I was coasting on a closed throttle, they changed the RH switchgear as a precaution in case it was the kill switch. Since then it did it a couple more times but stopped and has been OK since.
    Sudden total cut out on my 1200S | Ducati Forum

9. I have the new skyhook model and I have the same problem it's been back to ducati 3times and is currently in ther and as been there for 2weeks now and they said they haven't had any problems like this the bike cut out going through traffic and I Neely got hit with wagon so well pissed off now please let me no how u go on and were r u from I'm from accrington

10. I also have had full termi system with up map runs miles better but the problem is still there please give me a ring 07974656618 thanks AndyAndy

11. Andy - did you ever get this resolved - have developed exactly same problem on my PP with Termis - thinking DTC - as you roll on throttle at 3-4k engine shuts down with flashing DTC light then comes back in with a bang - rough idle as well

12. Turn off DTC and see it resolves the issue (quickest was is set it to OFF ROAD / ENDURO).

13. 2010 to Twin spark, OEM detects cut cable and stuck open port.
    Twin Spark does not detect Stuck open (or at least doesn't alert the rider).
    DVT.....can someone advise when they are upgrading to Termis?

14. It's a long shot and I know most of you have new bikes but my 2014 S GT was cutting out when ever I went to use some power it almost wheelie'd me into on coming traffic it would cut out then come back in while I still had the throttle open, at first I thought it was the traction control but it turned out to be a faulty stand switch, Mine was full of water and had corroded the contactor inside the switch, I got a new one under warranty eventually BUT the dealer said they have been having lots of problems with the switch only just making when the stand was up and if the stand rattled or bounced it would cut the engine out, the data logger doesn't log a stand switch fault because it's common for some one to put it in gear with the stand down.

You can test it by unplugging the switch and linking the 2 pins with the black notch in-between them then take your bike out for a spin, but remember not to leave your stand down as it wont cut out the engine.

15. Unlikely to be the cause for your bike being so new but I had similar issues with regards to the surging / carb icing sensation which was down to corroded coils.

16. Just a question, you haven't treated your bike with ACF 50 have you?

17. Yes was treated to acf50 with all year biker in the first week of owning it

18. My dealer told me not to use the stuff it, he said it causes ignition problems. But I know a few on here will argue the toss, all I'm doing is saying what he told me, not looking for a fight.

19. It's the first time I've used it. I don't think it was the acf50. The coils were corroded as was the exhaust valve and due to corrosion the exhaust studs snapped in the head.

The dealer said simi.ar to me that the acf50 has probably caused all the corrosion issues in mine.

It may have done but I personally think it's down to really poor quality fasteners and parts. Looked after this bike more than any other and never had such issues with corrosion

20. Yeah I had a problem with my faring bolts and other fastners going white and dusty when I first got my bike, I had been washing / cleaning it with Muc-Off bike cleaner. I changed to a PH neutral cleaner, and the furring went away Fuchs-Off 5ltr Buy One Get One Free Turns out Muc-Off has caustic in it and slowly eats through alloy and the coatings on bolts like zinc and anodizing.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information