Unhappy Monster - Help required !

Discussion in 'Monster' started by JR45, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Anyone offer ideas ?
    M600 dark - old carb type one...
    Set off to work this morning and bike stopped after about two miles - felt like it was running out of petrol, but still has fuel in tank. :(
    Refused to restart - I didn't want to carry on trying as the battery was starting to go flat.
    Any ideas where to start looking for causes ?
    I have checked that I hadn't crimped any of the fuel hoses when I refitted the tank after putting the battery back in...
    I by-passed the vacuum-operated fuel tap ages ago after it started playing up, so it's not that...
    My best guess is a bloked fuel filter or the pump not working properly - is there anything else that anyone can think of ?
    All ideas / assistance gratefully received...

2. try the air bleed valve it may cause a vacuum in the tank , side stand switch, blocked fuel line

3. No vacuum in tank - opened fuel cap...
    Sidestand switch might be worth a look - hadn't thought of that one...
    Blocked fuel line is a definite possibility...

Cheers :)

4. Rusted internals to the tank and sediment leading to blocked fuel filter ?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Inside of the tank looks pretty clean from what I can see...
    But I'll pull the filter off and have a look at it...

6. Well broken side stand switch is like putting kill switch on for older monsters so your symptoms do not sound like that.

A try turnover and check if plugs get wet, also if you have a spark. To not kill battery I would suggest removing spark from vertical cylinder and turnover for a while.
    As one spark is out engine will turnover easier while still pump petrol. At the same time check if you get a spark from vertical. If you do swap spark cables and do the same to check horizontal. Again if all fine take horizontal spark out and it should be wet from petrol (assuming bike did not fire up on one cylinder). If all test are ok you have petrol and spark so would suspect ignites or timing.
    Final test if you can get a bit of petrol in to big spray bottle and try starting it up and squirting bit of petrol to carbs if it fires and idles carbs are ok.

7. Update : Bike had been standind at the side of the road all day...
    The RAC man turned up - we put the keys in, and guess what ? Yes - it started !
    Rode it home ( about 2 miles ) and all seemed fine - but to be fair that's what it was like just before it stopped...
    I think a good strip and clean of the fuel system will be happening over the weekend...

8. Sounds like carb icing. Do a search on UKMOC as it is a well discussed subject and I haven't got time right now to go into details.

9. Gilps could be right last couple of days were perfect for that, moist and cool air. Simple test get some profst anti icing add-on. You add a handful to a tank of petrol and it gets much better.

10. Plus 1 on proFST

11. Cheers guys... Carb-icing is a good thought, but :
    Not ideal conditions for it - was quite warm and not too damp...
    And I already use Fuchs FST...

12. When my 99 M600 was being a total pig running rough and being a total headache it was worn needles and jets.
    They where replaced and with the addition of a motobatt ( yellow) high cranking battery he has been a happy monster

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cheers for the tip Mel !

14. I'm sure you know all that anyhow!! Im no bike mechanic :(

15. It all helps - I would never claim to know everything ( and even if I ever did, at my age I can't remember half of it anyway ! )

16. Your not old!!!... The weather is supposed to be excellent this weekend so enjoy.. Have a look at the Monnie and don't forget "kellys" icecream solves lots of things :)

17. Further update -
    Drained fuel tank ( and put all old fuel in lawnmower ). Checked all fuel hoses are clear from tank to pump.
    Drained and checked fuel filter. Drained carbs. Topped tank up with fresh petrol. Bike starts no probs, and seems to be running fine. Set off for test ride ( making sure that only go uphill from home to make possibly push home easier... ) bike runs fine for about five miles then original symptoms return. Try to restart engine and bike will idle, but dies as soon as throttle is opened.
    Push home - all downhill...
    Turn engine over with spark plugs out - plugs are sparking ok and not damp from fuel when removed.
    My guess is either fuel pump not pumping or crap in both carbs. Easiest thing to get off is pump, so most likely cause is carbs !

Stay tuned for the next installment...

18. Longshot, but the igniter boxes , when they fail, seem to work ok till they get hot...then just stop. Does it stop firing on both cylinders or just misfire and stop?

19. I go with that i only use Motobatt batterys they do cost more but the bike always starts

20. JR tests I offered on ukmoc would tell you if it is igniter boxes or not by eliminating fuelling, air and total lack of spark. I would go with igniter I had one failing giving me 1 cylinder at high rpm first.

You have a vacuum pump right? Quickly check the hose that provides pressure for cracks.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information