Urgent help

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by addicted.to.DUCATI, Oct 27, 2012.

1. HI peeps,

I am considering buying yet another Ducati.

The thing that is holding me back is that the 2001 Ducati was originally a parrall import. Was ment for the Netherlands, but was bought into the UK.

Everything else seems kosha, but is there anything to fret about?

Any helpful advise or experiences welcome.

Kind regards

2. Don't see the problem. Some will try and tell you the resale value of imports is less but it's the same bike so I don't see why, my 916 was an import (actually they all are) and it had all the recalls & warranty etc that a UK bike would but it cost me £2,250 less and was available from stock (rather than the wait a Ducati dealer was offering). The only things it had 'wrong' was a Kmh speedo and wrong-side headlight dip both of which are easily changed.

I also bought an 'import' car for my Wife, it was fine, warranty was honoured (I think they have to anyway?) and when we sold it we got the same sort of price a UK version would have but I saved around £4k.

It's not as if they make inferior models for other markets (other than possible power restrictions in certain markets, which are easily removed anyway) and besides any difference in value that there might have been is no longer an issue at 10+ years old - if it's a good bike then get it...:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1

3. Thank you for the valued reply.

I do like the bike but wanted to make my heart wasn't ruling over my head.

I will let you know how I get on.

4. It's a 2001 bike so value isn't a prime factor. Just get it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. You'll have to get it converted to a right hand drive :upyeah:

6. Go for it! I had a CBF600 that was a German import, ok the speedo was in KPH but soon got used to that, never gave me any trouble and cost less to buy!

7. As all the others have said , just get it. Any price difference has long gone by now. I bought a new grey import Alfa in 1999, saved a huge amount and no hassle selling it 5 years later.

8. Speedo and odometer will be in KPH, also check that the headlamp has been changed to UK spec as low beam will throw to the right rather than the left and blind oncoming drivers / fail MOTs if it hasn't. Otherwise it should be identical. Will there be insurance liabilities?

9. I faced this with my old 748. Dealer at the time told me it wasn't an import as such...but it was...and it failed the MOT because of the beam direction. Maybe there's a cheaper simpler fix, but I bought a new headlamp unit (easy to fit) and actually got an Australian spec unit as the dipped and main beam come out of BOTH lights, rather than one or the other. Just a thought. Good luck.

10. Who imported it? Some were very good like Baines racing, at modifying them for Uk. Has it had the headlight modified, ( a small #10 bit that points the light to the ns not os) and got the correct paperwork....

11. I bought a new 748 parallel import back in the day. No biggie.
    Only thing I'd look for is how well the conversion was done, some had a new speedo, others simply had a sticker slapped over the top.

:upyeah:

12. My SS came from Germany? Didnt make it any more reliable tho lol

Had a CBR400RR before that lovely little grey import! Its the previous owners you need to worry about, not the country :wink:

13. another one!!! - You gotta be s*****g me - how many have you got now! strewth!

14. Hi Sev,

I have sold the monster, and have agreed terms on my RB track bike - should complete the RB sale on Friday - so I sold x2 and buy x1 = that makes sense, doesn't it?

Not sure Melanie is on the same page tho! haha.

You still after some leathers Sev? = text me, i MAY require a favour??

Kind Regards.
    SdR

15. lol, I don't believe you, I think you've got Mel all confused with some wierd calculation which makes it look like it'll save money if you buy another 10 bikes!

I reckon your house is a bit like Multistory car park meets Grand Designs. The image of the fiat building in Turin comes to mind. Still on the look out for a nice set of the leathers which I sold twice over! bugger!

I'll definitely text, but I don't do anything which involves goats, donkeys or shiny tracksuits!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information