1200 Very Slight Coolant Leak.

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Mobile Chicane, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Just a few small drips after a good run deffo coolant coming from above the rad by the headstock, cant find any split pipes in the area can only be coming from the coolant expansion tank or associated pipework.

Common fault ?

Will standard car style antifreeze mixed with water be ok to top up when required ( bike on centre stand and coolant level in tank is just below the full mark )

2. If your coolant is just below the full line I would leave it alone. If your coolant is red I would not add car coolant to it, the red is a bike formula from AGIP get a bottle from your dealer. Regarding small leak it's probably coming from a hose clamp that needs to be snugged down, look at all your hose clamps and if one is leaking you should see some wetness or a bit of crust if it has dried.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. You definitely shouldn't be adding any car coolant.
    The coolant in should be Agip Permanent Spezial. It's a pure liquid undiluted and shouldn't be mixed with any diluted stuff.

Hopefully you'll be able to get some from the dealer. When I tried getting some for my Aprilia it was like getting hold of rocking horse shit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. I had a small leak too, turned out to be the hose connection just needed tightening.

5. Right nipped up all the fittings I can see and will pick up some spare coolant when I get a chance.

Can the coolant be topped up with plain tap water if it drops a little ?

6. Right nipped up all the fittings I can see and will pick up some spare coolant when I get a chance.

Can the coolant be topped up with plain tap water if it drops a little ?

7. I wouldn't advise that as it comes pre-diluted. Any water added is going to dilute it further.
    You can buy a 1L bottle to top here Permanent Spezial

#7 Derek, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. right I nipped up both hoses on the expansion tank and did a 100 mile run today, stopped off about 70 miles in and had about an a coke bottle lid of coolant dribble onto the floor.

I then did an test when I got home removing the plastic shield at the bottom of the fork yoke and running the bike in a well ventilated area.

The coolant appears in drips around the base of the bottom head race bearing and is cool to the touch even though the bike is running at operating temp, there are no obvious weeps from either of the two hose connectors or the fill cap.

I'm flummoxed, unless I've got a leak on the expansion tank itself I don't know where the its coming from.

I'll have a chat with Moto rapido on monday, expansion tank looks like a pig to change.

9. Ok update time.
    Ive replaced the expansion tank filler cap ( £2.68) as the rubber seal in the top was suspect however further testing the leak still appears.

its not coming from either of the top or bottom hoses or the filler cap so I must have an issue with the expansion tank itself.

Tanks are £42 from ducati and probably 1-2 hours for a DIY replacement.

In the mean time I'm keeping an eye on the level and will probably be engineering some kind of small refil bottle with spout so I can keep some spare coolant on the bike and refill if necessary.

10. You may be able to repair the existing one with Araldite or similar

11. to be honest for the price of a new one and the effort to remove I'd rather just replace it

12. Ok update time new expansion tank purchased from moto rapido £42 diy fit 2.5 hrs.

found slight split in original tank by nut socket causing leak.

140 mile test ride and no leaks :)

13. Can the coolant tank on the dvt be changed without the petrol tank removal ? Cheers

14. Looks like the whole front end apart from the forks has to come off ! Think I’ll leave it for the dealers :worried:

F24A82C8-31F4-4CF6-9D7C-76005D45C361.jpeg

15. Looks like the tank on my 65 plate dvt has done the same thing as my 2010 bike hopefully warranty will talk to moto today

16. ok another update for the 2015 (65 plate DVT).

I called ducati and they may have done goodwill on the part but not the labour and as the coolant tank is only £45 I orderd one as a precautionary measure.

got home from work and after just under an hour I had the tank cowlings off and had shifted the petrol tank out the way and drained the coolant expansion tank then removed it.

and looking me in the face was a small split on the rear most bolt insert on the tank, checked it with some low pressure compressed air and it weeps alright.

confirmed the part number of the one I had removed with moto rapido so I had orderd the correct part, I have some pics on my phone which (if I can) ill post later.

• Like Like x 1
  17. stripped my one down and removed the coolant tank in just under an hour all you need is 3mm 4mm and 5mm allen keys first time I've taken the fairing off as well so I suspect it will go back on quicker.

• Like Like x 1
  18. More to follow when bandwidth allows

20180820_161642.jpg

20180820_161645.jpg

20180820_161629.jpg

19. Having had to repair a Y shaped hose in a hotel car park in the alps I'd agree that just the coolest tank is pretty easy!
    [​IMG]

20. The coolant tanks are a weak point. Yep, another weak point! But at least they just seep a tiny amount and it would most likely never get worse or cause a problem. But! Why do they have these most basic issues on a top shelf machine? Both my monster and my multi have splits by the mounting nuts. People I have spoken to in oz are on their third tank! Jap bikes dont seem to have this issue...
    However, when you remount the new tank, you should do this to help stop it from reoccuring... use some silicon to mount a fibre washer over each of the three brass nuts with a tight fit to the mounting bolts and put more silicon on the other side of the washers so they are sandwiched in silicon when you tighten up the bolts. Do not tighten the bolts too hard and use lots of pink loctite.( the lowest strength)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information