What am I missing (1098 v 848)?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by redsail, May 25, 2013.

1. I've only had the 848 a week but I think I'm drunk on the power, it's intoxicating and I'd like more! I mean going from my 650 vstrom to the 848 was like chalk and cheese MUCH more power than the cc diff suggested.

Is the 1098 insane? I think I'd like to try a bit of that :)

2. I have had a 1098 and now got an 848. The 1098 is naturally quicker but on normal everyday roads the 848 is probably just as fast from A to B.

3. Lol I'd also love to try a 1098 or 1198 but I think my 848 is the one to have for me

4. I've ridden the 1098 too but in the real world the 848 is the better bike. :smile:

5. That's one of the reasons I bought the 1098, because I knew if I bought the 848, I'd probably feel the need to get the bigger one eventually
    Saying that, I only use probably half the 1098 anyway, but its nice to know that it's there if you ever need it

• Like Like x 1
  6. some men are never satisfied - 1199 next? or back to a R1 :eek:

7. Interesting. So does the 1098 have more midrange grunt? Its not so much the top end or top speed, which the 848 seems to have plenty of, for the road anyway. But I love that feeling of having power in reserve especially for safe overtakes, and I love the acceleration. I guess the heavier bike would be less fun round the twisties on the road though. Swings and roundabouts?

I don't have anything to compare it to you see, as this is the 1st sport bike I've ridden. I wouldn't mind checking out some of the IL4 bikes just to see what they're like though.

8. I've never ridden the 848 sports, or evo or corse or whatever they call it

Only ridden the 848 sf a few times, and not for long enough to give an opinion

IMHO - you don't need all that cc and hp for a ride round in the countryside on a Sunday afternoon

9. hth

10. I just dropped a tooth on the front sprocket on my 1098, turns it into a mean revvy animal of a bike :cool:
    Not that it wasnt mean before just more ferocious ,well i think so anyway after yesterdays blast .

11. Oh really? I didn't even check, just assumed it was significatly heavier.

Jeez, I've only had the 848 a week and I'm already wanting more. I am corrupted!

12. That's what happens when you buy a bike you don't really want

Buy an R1, it makes sense

13. I've owned an 848, 848evo and now my 1098 bitsa.
    All fab bikes, IMHO the 848 is more than plenty for the Queens Highway and when you get used to it has that thrash factor.

What the 1098 has is the Holy Fuck Mother of God there's an angry rhino with a hot poker up it's arse betwixt my legs factor...:eek:

You feel me...? :upyeah:

If I was looking to buy now, I would probs buy a "cheapo" 848 non evo with cans, then lookout for secondhand monos and ohlins form a binned 1098.

14. Absofuckinglutely :biggrin:

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the 848, but I can see myself get used to the power it has. Is there a bike that takes your breath away every time you get on it? Perhaps not.

15. Even though the weight difference is only small u feel it more because the engines moving parts are more in the centre of the bike in the smaller bike. I could be wrong but I think this is how it works to make the bike more flickable. Maybe someone who talks in big words could explain it :)

16. You might be better off concentrating more on using the power that you have got, than wondering about what you haven't
    Invest in tuition rather than cc's?

• Like Like x 2
  17. yes an s1000rr hp4 lol

18. Confucious say:

It not what you got it how you use it

QB say: Mine's massive and only lesser capacity vote on small machinery ;-)

19. I'm not sure if this is correct (at least in this case) - 1098 and 848 have same chassis and very similar engine.

20. 1098 = heaving grunting bucking missile on track
    On the road.....? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information