What Anti-corrosive Should I Use For The Battery Terminals?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by pisquano, Mar 29, 2016.

1. hi folks
    I read somewhere that ACF-50 is a good product. I am just looking for a good product to apply to battery terminals, and perhaps other parts prone to rusting/corrosion

unfortunately I must keep my bike outside so ....

thanks
    f

2. Use Vaseline/petroleum jelly available in all supermarkets, own brand pots of 250g are around £2-3 and will last for many years (I have one that has been in the garage for 30 years and its still as good as the day I bought it). For the battery a very thin smear on the terminal post and inside the lug then a light smear across the top to seal it when it is done up. If you use it on bolt heads apply it finely (just 'wet' it) with a rag.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. I've used various greases without any obviously differing results. I smear the terminals, lightly nip them up, give them a wriggle to bite through the grease, tighten fully and pop a bit more grease on. The theory is that the connection is clean metal on metal, surrounded by grease to exclude oxygen. I re do this (along with the engine earth point, where I've found silicone grease works best) at each major service (two years, when I do cam belts as well)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Vaseline. Cheap as chips in most pharmaceutical type shops. Tried tested and proven by race, rally teams the world over.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Vaseline or petroleum jelly; electrical connections & battery terminals.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Either grease or Vaseline will do the job of keeping damp and oxygen out.

Vaseline (petroleum jelly) is probably less messy though... ;)

7. Silicone grease or Vaseline for the battery terminals and high current connectors. ACF50 for the rest of the bike, if you put the spray bottle in hot water for a few minutes it vaporises better and creeps into the nooks and crannies. They also do a general purpose bloc grease which is suitable for battery terminals and other applications

Do Not Sell My Personal Information