What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by El Toro, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Apart from BiKE magazine I'm reading Alex Ferguson's biography which I got for my birthday. It's quite well written and interesting so far.

So what are you reading? Any recommendations?

2. This thread last time I checked......
    Ive loads of books lined up thou. Reading The Yard, which frankly isnt very good, but Im really looking forward to reading The 100 year old man who jumped out a window :upyeah:

3. Re-reading Triplanetary by EE Doc Smith - yet again.
    I was reading it the other day when iTunes coughed up Close to the Edge by Yes, which was what I was listening to the very first time I read that book, forty years ago. I got chills :smile:

4. Masters of the air by Donald L miller. Story of the American 8th air force in WW2, daylight bombing. Quite a sobering book, some of the statistics are shocking. Particularly life expectancy and average age.

OGR

5. anything ian banks. for all you music lovers espadare street.

• Like Like x 2
  6. The Fifteen Decisive Battles of the World by Edward Shepherd Creasy written in 1851

Next will a biography of Roald Amundsen.

7. White Teeth by Zadie Smith.
    White man living in Willesden in the 1970s [that was me] marries black West Indian woman and has mixed family [also me], collision of everyday life/intellectual life, religious ideas, political ideas [also me]. Writer was working class, got to Oxbridge. Rings a few bells.

8. I'v just finished Frank Skinner's 2nd biography. Very funny.

9. War n peace

10. What kind of books do you normally read El T.

11. Fear and loathing in Las Vegas

• Like Like x 2
  12. Clarkson's latest book (funny and some very good points), A blink of the screen by Terry Pratchett (collected short stories/non-Discworld) and the Tao of Jeet Kune Do by Bruce Lee.

13. The last few books have been autobiographies. Next one I'm going to read will be Brian Moore.

But my favourite books are spy thrillers - John Le Carre, Frederick Forsyth, Len Deighton etc. Or Tom Sharpe. :smile:

14. try ian banks complicity

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ive nearly finished my latest book but my crayons have run out.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Caroline Alexander, the true story of the mutiny on the bounty.

is a good read, and shows a good slice of period life at that time, both in the navy and society of the time. Well pitched.

the answer? well he(George Davis) was innocent...... Or was he. Read it and find out.

on a similar vein-showing life in a period of history - , The Fatal Shore, Robert Hughes, is a good tome. Transportation. ( no, NOT starring Jason statham.....)

17. The new demon tweeks motorsport catalogue while daydreaming about building another trackday car...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Just finished catastrophe by max Hastings awesome book.

19. Al Murray's "Watching War Films With My Dad" - lots of potted history

al murray.png

al murray.png

20. goodbye Transylvania by S.H Landau true story of a Romanian who ran away from home and joined the Luftwaffe then the waffen ss , good read so far, mostly only read true story's and autobiography's

Do Not Sell My Personal Information