What Garage

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Ivor, Oct 6, 2024.

1. Buying a house ( hopefully) with big garden and rear access, plan to build a large garage/workshop, anyone recommend any bespoke ( self assembly) structures or indeed plans for traditional builds. Or am I best forking out for an architect to draw it up? Looking for minimum 4 car ( to give space for bikes) - garage with office space above

Slightly width constrained but not length/depth

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. watching thread with interest/contemplating similar. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Sounds like your going to splash out, I’d recommend using an architect

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yep, thinking of something that could be converted into a house / bungalow if required at a later date

5. Don’t forget you’ll need to put in the concrete pad and services, I’m presuming the price in the eBay ad doesn’t include those things.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Not sure that oak carport is going to cut it, sounds like you want something with cavity walls, insulated floor/roof, enough height to add office/room above so dorma windows? Footprint of that size will probably require building regs, when you say width restricted does that mean within 2m of your boundaries? In which case you’ll need planning permission, (might do for the size anyway) definitely will need it if you later plan to convert to living quarters or you will have to get retrospective consent on top of the planning just to build the garage?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Get an architect as you’ll need planning anyway so will need drawing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Was wondering if anyone on here had suitable drawings, I'll measure up but most gardens along there have a bungalow in the garden

9. I did the same @Ivor , me and my builder mate built mine, one thing I would say is make sure it's well insulated if it's not attached to the house. Double skin with good roof and ventilation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. I’d second the insulated. Mine is single skin, I extended it but most was there already. I had it fully insulated and plasterboarded and the temp stays pretty even all year. Don’t get much condensation either in the now.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information