749 What is the deal with 05 bikes new swingarm but grey frame ?

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Pras, Mar 31, 2014.

1. I know all black/dark versions retain the grey frame but I have seen a few 05 red bikes with the new black swingarm but still have the grey frame ?

2. Probably the transition period...using up the silver frames ,I've seen a couple of 2004 54 plate bikes with black swingarms and silver frames,and I've seen a 2005 05 plate bike with a red frame and grey swingarm!...personally prefer the silver frame models...Classy:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. or its not really an MY05 just registered late..in 05...

4. I prefer the silver frame but prefer some of the later items/changes , particularly the swing arm !

5. Ducati produced 60 'hybrid' 749s.
    They had 60 grey frames left when they stopped the yellow (slower) paint job. So they put the new swingarm, revised fairing & uprated engine on the grey frame. I preferred the grey frame so brought one - only negative was the black wheels looked better than they grey wheels it came with.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Just like the one I got for sale... which is a hybrid model on an 06 plate with the silver frame and the new swingarm etc.

7. Hybrid, the bluffers term for "bitsa"

8. I think bitsa in italian means individuality / character / special parts or it could be this will / yes that fits / looks fine to me.

Still a great bike in whatever version.

9. Over here in Germany, the dealers were given new swingarm s and also fairing kits to help shift the early model stock that was sitting in the showrooms. They also fitted ohlins forks to some 999 base models to help sales. So there are a few grey framed bikes with black swingarms and 05 fairings out there

10. For example mine. Everything is m.y.05, only the frame and the wheels are grey. Production 2004/October.

DSC05307x.jpg

11. RSVRocky, is it deep sump motor?

12. Nice1, didn't know they put later motors in them.

13. The frame is OK, so I hope it is not after a big crash, fitted with new parts . . .

14. It looks like it had an update kit fitted which would have included the v piece and matching cam belt covers, Even the front mudguard is the newer version. If I remember rightly though all the 999 models had the deeper sump engine, unlike the 998 where the S and basic motor was different, but I could be mistaken

#16 Nathanhu, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  15. '03-'04 base model has a shallow sump engine, all the others (base '05-'06, all S, all R) have deep sump.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Every day is a school day :)

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information