What Van?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by RC1, Jul 6, 2024.

1. Not sure yet but let's say i wanted a van for 2 bikes what should i buy for less than 15k?

I don't want a van and i don't like them but i may need one. It cannot be white and the less it looks like a van the better. Something with a low roof height preferred.

Not white either

Don't care much about running costs and prefer German brands

2. VW Transporter. They drive like a car (ish) BUT, very popular and you’ll pay more than what it’s really worth due to the VW “scene tax”

3. My mate has either a Renault traffic or the vauxhall version (same van) he likes it

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I’ve seen 2 bikes loaded into a Caddy Max at a trackday. Tight squeeze and the rider nearly had a mishap due to the tight squeeze and very low roof when loading the second bike in.

I have a Vito which I prefer over the VW having owned both.
    Vito has 2 side loading doors which not many if any VW Trans have as it’s an expensive option.
    Vito sits slightly lower and is in my experience a better drive and I prefer the RWD it has.

I recently owned a Toyota ProAce which wasn’t such a nice van to drive long distances as the seats aren’t very comfortable. Also the electrics aren’t that reliable on it, hence me selling it.

If/when you do start looking your IME better buying a van with rear doors than tailgate for loading bikes in.

The Vito 111 are FWD by the way, using a PAG engine. They are slightly cheaper on the used market than is the case for the 114 and above.

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. That's very useful thanks
    I'm narrowing down to a Vito or transporter. Are both subject to speed restrictions that apply to a van? Also, can a Vito take 2 Mx bike and 2 sports bikes not at same time but 2 bikes max

6. Fwd is good helps reduce access height at back right?

7. As far as I’m aware there is no difference in floor height on either of the Vito versions.
    As far as I recall the Transporter sits higher than is the case for the Vito.

When you buy a ramp buy a wide one, I bought a narrow ramp which makes it awkward when unloading.

#7 DucatiScud, Jul 6, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2024
  8. The twin doors won me over when I switched to a Vito, It makes life much easier with ‘Huey doors’ for loading unloading.

Yes both are restricted to 50 on single carriageway roads and 60 on dual carriageways. I rarely go much faster than 65 on motorways in any case preferring economy over speed. As an example of just how ‘driving Miss Daisey’ I am I get around 600miles to 58ltrs of diesel on long runs. All vans will be subject to these restrictions other than Fiesta and Corsa vans as they’re derived from a car.
    My Vito easily swallowed 2 enduro bikes with room to spare same for road bikes the same.

#8 DucatiScud, Jul 6, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Couple of our work vans are LWB Vitos, good vans, they’re both Auto and easy/comfy drives. Low roof too. They are 3 seaters, well, 2 1/2 really. Good work horses tho.

10. merc vito. great van, please please dont get a vw !!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. ^^^^^
    What he said lol

12. VW’s have been great vans. I’ve had Caddy’s for the last 14 years, I have a 21 reg at the moment, interior is a lot better but the van seems more fragile than all my others. I think the VW are a better drive over the Vito but that’s just my opinion.

13. why all the hate for vw. and why a caddy not transporter
    can anyone that knows more send me some links to a vito that might be suitable and equivalent vw. theres quite a few options out there

14. im getting bored already... engine sizes, model names, other names, yawn. too many options

15. It’s just a bit of humour aimed at from my view the VW van life owners, IMO the Vito is the better van of the 2 German manufacturers.

I wouldn’t recommend a Caddy as IMO they’re too small and I don’t believe you’ll get 2 MX bikes in them.

How about this for a low mileage can, I put the bulkhead back in if I purchased it. No 20% VAT on this one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23563818...Kco9UR2qUOFWNJkRAPScok4p4q|tkp:Bk9SR86ImqSRZA

I couldn’t find a VW Transporter that wasn’t White or didn’t have VAT on the price, the Transporters are more money than an equivalent Vito is my experience.

16. Vito only has 3 engine sizes 1.9 which is the FWD version the 2.1 or the 3 V6 Brabus which generally are crew cabs.
    It a minefield as the options are varied, that Vito you posted has big miles on it if I recall correctly.

I’m sure the SWB will fit motorcycles, they’re longer than a Caddy?

17. ok so vito it is
    so now swb vs lwb
    i really dont want a van on the drive and the less of it there is the better which is why i like the sound of swb
    and do i need to have side doors with glass in?

18. I haven’t ever owned a SWB check the dimensions to ensure you can fit a motorcycle in, I don’t recall there being a huge difference in length. My XLWB is only around 100mm longer than an LWB and is barely noticeable until I put my work materials in.

No you don’t need to put glass in your side doors some do as he has on the link I posted as he was on his way to converting it. Some owners do it to stop their van looking like a workman’s van and having some scaly peel the doors open looking for tools, mate had all 4 of his work doors peeled open.

#19 DucatiScud, Jul 7, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2024
  19. I’ve got a silver Vito. I know silver’s a bit wank but I got a great deal on it. 119cdi blutec. 2.2 turbo diesel 190hp. They don’t look as cool as a Transporter but they’ve got the Transporter covered in a game of Top Trumps. I really like it…

Length wise it’s a 3 way choice. L1, L2 or L3. Short, mid or long. I’ve got the mid. I previously had the short and I was pleasantly surprised by how much more stuff you can get in the extra 10” offered by the mid (L2). IMO the long (L3) looks too long and parking starts to become an issue. It would be dicey parking an L3 in a multi story car park, say… too sticky outy…

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information