Wheel, Brakes And Suspension Upgrades

Discussion in 'Sport Classic' started by spooky, Oct 13, 2023.

1. I’ve discussed this on another forum and I’d like to see if there are some different ideas, tips or advice here.

These wheels come up in a search for 999 wheels - I’m not sure the picture is right and asked them to confirm:
    [​IMG]
    TA71246+TA72354 FORGED ALUMINUM RIMS MARCHESINI M10RS KOMPE DUCATI 749 / 749 S / 999 / 999 S / 999 R
    TA71246+TA72354 FORGED ALUMINUM RIMS MARCHESINI M10RS KOMPE DUCATI 749 / 749 S / 999 / 999 S / 999 R
    [​IMG] www.wrs.it

Front discs:
    [​IMG]
    208A98511 BREMBO BRAKE DISCS T-DRIVE 320 DUCATI 999 2003-07
    208A98511 BREMBO BRAKE DISCS T-DRIVE 320 DUCATI 999 2003-07
    [​IMG] www.wrs.it
    or:
    [​IMG]
    208A98536 BREMBO BRAKE DISCS T-DRIVE 320 DUCATI MULTISTRADA 1200 2010+
    208A98536 BREMBO BRAKE DISCS T-DRIVE 320 DUCATI MULTISTRADA 1200 2010+
    [​IMG] www.wrs.it

Would I use the bolts that are currently on the bike or I’d need something else (or do discs come with the bolts).

Rear disc - would the original disc and brake work on these wheels?

Rear sprocket - might as well go 520 while I’m at it:
    [​IMG]
    202D SITTA ERGAL REAR SPROCKET DUCATI 999 R / S / 999 R XEROX 2003-2006
    202D SITTA ERGAL REAR SPROCKET DUCATI 999 R / S / 999 R XEROX 2003-2006
    [​IMG] www.wrs.it
    and:
    [​IMG]
    D002 SITTA FRONT SPROCKET DUCATI 1098 / 1198 2009-2011
    D002 SITTA FRONT SPROCKET DUCATI 1098 / 1198 2009-2011
    [​IMG] www.wrs.it

I think those would be right? What gearing works best and what’s standard gearing on these bikes? Number of links for the chain? Sprocket carrier?

Brakes - either Brembo 4P/4P - there’s a new set available and a used set for quite a bit less money but I don’t know what’s involved in refurbishing to ensure they are ok. Tempted to go with new. Also, there’s Discacciati?

New front brake lines?

While I’m at it:
    [​IMG]
    110A26310+110A26385 BRAKE OIL TANK MOUNTING KIT + BREMBO 19 RCS RADIAL BRAKE PUMP
    110A26310+110A26385 BRAKE OIL TANK MOUNTING KIT + BREMBO 19 RCS RADIAL BRAKE PUMP
    [​IMG] www.wrs.it
    and:
    [​IMG]
    110A26350 RADIAL CLUTCH PUMP BREMBO RACING 16 RCS 110A26350
    110A26350 RADIAL CLUTCH PUMP BREMBO RACING 16 RCS 110A26350
    [​IMG] www.wrs.it

I think those are the right ones? Can I use the existing oil tanks or are new ones needed?

Healtech SpeedoHealer - SH-V4 + SHD02?

Rear wheel spacers kit from Fast Frank.

Forks - considering Bitubo cartridge kit. They seem to do two versions and the more expensive version has an option that seems to include springs and oil but it’s a lot more expensive that the base version, springs and oil would cost so I don’t know if there is more included…
    Cartuccia-Reg:precarico/estensione/compressione/se (D0039EBH00WO)
    nza molle eolio Cartridge-Adj:preload/rebound/Compression/ w/o springs andoil
    bitubosrl.zucchetti.com
    Cartuccia-Reg:precarico/estensione/compressione/Ca (D0039EBH09)
    rtridge-Adj Preload/rebound/Compression
    bitubosrl.zucchetti.com
    Cartuccia-Reg:precarico/estensione/comp/No Oil Car (D0039JBH02V1WO)
    Cartuccia-Reg:precarico/estensione/comp/No Oil Cartridge-Adj: Preload/rebound/Compression without oil
    bitubosrl.zucchetti.com

Is that about it? Any parts I’ve forgotten, additional bits needed? For example, I can order the brakes with banjo bolts and copper crush washers.

Thoughts on these options?

I definitely want to do the wheels and brakes, probably the sprockets side of things and tempted to just go the whole hog and do the front forks as well.

Advice, guidance and thoughts welcome!

2. and now it starts :). luckily i bought mine with the lot all done and not tech savy enough to offer any guidance I'm afraid. but good luck. what other forum did you canvas opinion from? cheers

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Ducati.ms - some very experienced people there but US-centric. I obviously want to make sure I get the right parts but also to get them from within Europe if possible rather than having the pain and expense of importing from the US. If I had to get things in the UK then I can have them brought over easily.

What parts and mods has your bike got?

4. FYI the wheels appear to look like Marchesini forged alloy ones like on my 749R.

• Like Like x 1
  5. That should be correct then for this purpose

• Like Like x 1
  6. I’m revisiting this topic, having put it on the back burner due to buying another bike.

I’ve been pointed toward a kit with OZ Gass wheels that are plug and play and will fit the stock forks and use stock discs and calipers, which seems like a nice solution.

Obviously I could install a Bitubo kit in the front forks to upgrade the suspension and that seems like a neat solution.

If I go this way and I’ve got stock forks and discs, what would be the best way to upgrade the brakes. Is there a Brembo caliper that would be a direct bolt on solution? I think Discacciati do one? Master cylinder?

I like the look of the OZ Gass wheels and I like that it’s plug and play, so it seems like a good first step if there’s an equally simple way to upgrade the brakes.

7. Wheels ordered.

I’ve been told by the Ducati dealer that they can get the 999 Brembo calipers but they don’t include pads apparently and once I add that cost then I’m up to the cost of Discacciati (I believe these would be plug and play with the OZ Gass wheels using their disc spacers that are included).

Would the Discacciati be better, worse or no difference in comparison to the Brembo?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information