Wheel Rim Tape Application

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Cornish Duke, May 19, 2012.

1. Any hints or tips on applying wheel rim tape without 1 of those applicators that appear to double the price of the actual tape!? It's a continous length not in 4 segments. :upyeah:

2. 2 words.. Soapy water

3. Front and back stands make it a little easier. Don't "strecth" the tape as you fit it, take your time and apply by "eye", no need for fancy applicator tools.

4. Just done my wheels, took 20 minutes...

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Straight tape doesnt "do" curved without a LOT of dicking around, these pre-curved stripes made things SO much easier...

5. +1

I bought the keiti tape with applicator, and basically the applicator is Sh*te, I did mine by hand in the end.

The 4 quadrant ones are by far easier to fit, and I can make as many of them as anyone here needs, but in my opinion it looks soo much better in one piece....if you just take your time and don't rush it.

The problems with the joints is they collect muck, even if you overlay cut and remove the excess under and over....if that makes sense (it's a common technique in vinyl sign joining), it still shows and looks terrible on white tape.

I have cut full circles and half circles rather than quadrants to minimise the joints in the past, the good thing with that is you don't need to manipulate the vinyl as much as straight tape.

For your first one use the soap solution method and just go slowly, by the time you get to the last one you'll have the hang of it and be putting them on dry.

Anth

Do Not Sell My Personal Information