Which leathers to buy???

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Barmbyduke, Mar 18, 2013.

1. I'm up for buying some new leathers probably a 2 piece but may consider 1 piece, I have always worn Alpinestars but looking at Dainese this time. I would like your opinions on Dainese as a brand, fit, quality and comfort before I part with me hard earned dosh.
    Cheers,
    Barmby.

2. Buy the best ones you can that fit you properly. I wear Alpinestars. Dainese don't fit me that well, and unless you go for the top drawer ones, quality can be questionable. My better half had a spill at Cadwell in "entry" level Dainese and the leg seams exploded....
    Arlen Ness are also very good as are Berik and despite the "image" RST have come on in leaps and bounds of late and offer proper VFM. Check also the armour that's fitted. A good suit with poor inflexible armour will be just a good uncomfortable suit...
    Don't get caught up with branding. Go for fit and quality. Check the seams and the number of "panels" in the suit. The more panels, the more stitching can open up. If they're multi coloured, are the colours overlayed the main suit or part of it...ie more panels.
    If you like a suit and the armour is crap, budget for a set of good armour.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks Nelly, I have been told by 2 people who have purchased Dainese say that they wouldn't buy them again because of faulty stitching which came out just through normal wear, not sure whether they spent top dollar on their particular suits but it's worrying when your life can depend on it.

4. I would go made to measure tbh
    I have some Crowtree leathers from Lincolnshire and they are excellent - very high quality and obviously fit well!
    I know they stopped doing stuff a while back but also heard they were still going again so might be worth checking out
    In the grand scheme of things its worth buying the best quality you can afford!
    I know that with gloves I have seen Alpinestars post spill and they didnt seem to be very robust but then like everything I guess there are bad models and good models so could have been the cheapest they do

• Like Like x 1
  5. My RST fits me much better than my Alpinestars ever did. 3 years in and they are still looking good with no issues

• Like Like x 1
  6. I've got more Dainese suits than I should have.
    I like them because they are comfortable and well-designed. I've fallen off in 2 of the one-pieces with no ill-effects (one spill was a lowside on track at quite high-speed).
    Do I think they are the ultimate in protection? No. But my BKS suit was like wearing a pair of shoes.

For some reason, I don't think I can get my knee down in their two-pieces. They are more restrictive on the bike. The one-pieces on the other hand and just so comfortable. I am lucky in that size 50 two-pieces and size 52 one-pieces are a perfect fit for me.

I wouldn't do a track day in a 2 piece (because it inhibits my "riding style").

I don't think there is anything you can wear that guarantees you won't go to hospital in certain circumstances but I am happy enough wearing a Dainese suit. Apart from BKS, I have no experience of any other leathers apart from IXS which I'd never buy again (following an IOM off in the 80s).

The 2 pieces are fine for general riding and are obviously more practical. The one-pieces are great on the bike, but make you morph into an ape off it. So best is to have both...

7. about to buy BKS two piece made to measure - I just have to squint a bit when I look at the £ figure

8. Mine too, I've had BKS, Arlen Ness, Dainese but the RST are the most comfortable. They're showing a few battle scars now though, an 'off' at Snetterton tore a hole in the thigh (don't ask). I'd highly recommend RST 1 piece for a budget suit.

9. +1 on the RST one peice, comfy and great value.....but as Glidd points out you turn into an ape once off the bike, and god forbid that you get cought short and need to go for a dump!!:eek:
    There just isn't enough space in a cubicle to de-vest!!! Just saying like.......:biggrin:

#9 Twangobango, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Interesting that the RST's are getting good reviews for what is commonly known as a budget brand? don't get me wrong I'm not one of these biking snobs who wouldn't consider anything but Dainese, It would seem most of you are suggesting it's comfort and fit as been paramount and not all brands have this even some the top names, so looks like it's going to be a fitting marathon of all that's available I'm looking at a budget of £1000 give or take £100

• Like Like x 1
  11. I've got an rst one piece suit, its an absolutely superb fit, and extremely comfortable. Having crash tested it twice (cbr and gpz) it still looks very good. I personally don't like two piece suits because they have a waist band which is not great on a sports bike, and they aren't quite as protective or comfortable. I do appreciate they are a bit easier if you want to take just the jacket off though.

I would either use a one piece undersuit if I was just out for a ride, or a t shirt and a pair of lycra shorts (boxers get scrunched up) under the suit if I were going somewhere, and carry a pair of trainers and shorts or trackkie bottoms in a rucksack to change onto when I got wherever I was going.

12. if you can afford and will use it often enough, made to measure is the way to go we all have different lumps and bumps

i have an arlen ness off the self 1 piece thats taken some abuse and keeps on trucking nicely and fits great (im a bit lardy round te belly)

the leather and stitching of the furygan stuff is amazing (but not cheap either)

13. The comfort and fit is a vital one. Comfort is quite obvious. You need to be able to move around easily, don't need it pinching in riding position etc.
    fit is often overlooked though. Think of a helmet. Might be comfy, but if it moves around on your head, then in an impact your head will move around in it....think of a bean in a tin can. Unless the suit fits you properly, then if you need to find out how good it is and it moves around your torso, legs, hips, shoulders etc. then so will the armour and the impact areas of the suit. If this happens, especially with the armour then that can cause more injury than the actual impact. Think of a shoulder pad being pushed in to your shoulder blade or a hip pad into your groin area. It's is why it's sometimes worth considering an armoured vest rather than pocketed armour under your suit....
    Made to measure is always the way to go if you can afford it. That doesn't mean off the peg are any worse though if you can get some that fit you properly.

14. I'm on my 3rd set of Crowtree's.....not because they've fallen apart.....because I keep needing larger sizes!!! They are excellent....top quality, excellent fit & you can have whatever colour etc you want!! I've tested them a few times during my racing career & they've never let me down!!

15. Heres my history
    Dainese which split on the shoulder after a crash of around 60mph, when repaired I was told it was the thinnest leather they had ever seen. Not been back to Dainese but looked at their newer stuff and it appears well made.

Spyke -Very comfortable but werent vented so hot in the summer, appeared well made and good stitching but not very protective against hospital scissors after it was cut off me. Looking back at the bits that actually hit the road, they appeared in tact (shoulder/back/knee) and only the external lettering was torn.

Arlen Ness - Incredibly comfortable, made from kangaroo and appeared very thin but super comfy, great in the summer as it is fully vented and good position of the stretch panels so enabled you to move around the bike. Double layered bum and legs and all stictching appeared good quality.

BKS (made to measure) - THE BEST IN THE WORLD, very heavy, very comfortable.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 2
  16. I have a vented Spyke suit which is very good. Only for hot days so it doesn't get much use of late.........

17. True to say that if you go BKS, you'll need to invest in some carbon bits for the bike to compensate for the weight. There must be an entire team of oxen in one of their suits - perhaps including the horns and hooves.

18. Not just the stitching, I've had to replace nearly every single zip on my two piece over the last couple of years and it's still less than 8 years old.:mad:

19. Rst pro series

• Like Like x 1
  20. Get made to measure. Crowtree, Hideout, perhaps BKS (used to be at the top but now owned by another manufacturer) are all good. Slightly cheaper and still popular with the race crowd are Scott Leathers, although my last set are not the best (measured by an agent in the south). Hideout have always done me a great job and are my preferred brand.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information