1299 Won't Start Or Run Properly

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Squadra Corse, May 23, 2023.

1. I'll try to be brief. Hope someone can help.

1299 sat for 1 year in the house. Only 1700 miles on it.
    Went to start it (battery on trickle charger) but wouldn't fire.
    First suspected battery so new one used. Yuasa. No faults on dash.
    Noticed pump wasn't priming.
    Took tank off, removed pump, battery direct on it and it spun up OK. Emptied tank and put in 1 week old super unleaded.
    Bike still wouldn't fire up, pump priming OK now.
    Tried some carb cleaner direct in the inlet and fired up and ran for a few seconds.
    Retried with tank on. Ran for maybe 10 seconds then died. Wouldn't restart! Tank back off, carb cleaner, ran again with a few pops. At this point I think I blew the horizontal MAP sensor. Now getting Engine fault on dash.,
    Plugged in Melco diag...
    Active tests, tried the injector tests. Get clicks from the relays on 3 injectors but never the main horizontal? Not sure if correct results from this. Unplugged injector connecter, refitted. Checked fuses all OK.
    Checked DTC and got horizontal map failure!! Confirmed earlier suspicion...
    At this point reluctantly took the plugs out as the front is a pain...
    Both plugs quite black. End of day.

Bought new plugs and a map sensor (genuine from Ducati today)
    Fitted and now no engine fault on dash and no dtc's on Melco.
    Tried starting. Bike almost catches but won't run..
    Tried the injector test and still as before.

So, no where local to take it to without waiting 6 weeks! Had planned to go for MOT Wednesday..
    I'm at a loss now really as I can't think of anything else.. Ran fine last year before parked indoors.. No time to use last year.
    Could it be weak fuel pump, one main injector duff, slow starter(don't think this as it did start briefly and battery is 12.8v on dash)
    Don't really want to guess and throw parts at it if I can avoid it..

Does anyone who's read through all this have any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,
    Gary

#1 Squadra Corse, May 23, 2023
    Last edited: May 23, 2023
  2. Sorry to hear the trouble you're having.

Have you checked the flappy exhaust valve? It's a long shot but maybe it's stuck closed.

Also, have you tried to give it a bit of throttle when starting the bike? I know it should start without any throttle...

When I did the injector tests on my 899 via Melco, you could hear the clicking on both H and V injectors. That seems the most likley cause i fyou cannot hear one of them.

You haven't got a power commander or Rapid bike connected? Maybe you could disconnect/bypass those if you do. All the connections fully home? The spark plug HT leads can be difficult to get to sit properly in my experience.

Good luck, hope you don't have to wait 6 weeks with all this sunny weather.

3. Map sensors??.
    One of mine failed but no fault was displayed as the other was still working.
    Was turning over but could not start it unless I had my charger attached to the battery and after loads of attempts it fired up but it ran rough.
    Just an idea.

4. Thanks guys.
    I've fixed it now. I took the throttle bodies off to check and clean injectors etc but still made no difference.
    In the end I chucked another fuel pump in and it fired straight away..

Not impressed at all for an under 1700miles bike that was drained of fuel prior to storing. The price of these is crazy from Ducati, just under £900!! I sourced a used one but shouldn't have had to for such little use.

• Like Like x 2
  5. IMO, your most likely problem was dry storing, plays havoc when the ‘rubber’ drys out. A few litres of Super unleaded with stabiliser is my routine with the track bikes which often goes months without use. Seems to have worked so far. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information