V2 Worth The Wait??

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Expat Jack, Oct 30, 2022.

1. Last Wednesday I got a picture sent to me from Winchester :-

yoke.jpg

Way back in early February I placed an order for a new V2 Bayliss with Moto Rapido. I was chopping in the Pani R. The Bayliss was scheduled to arrive in July, but, supply problems meant delay after delay.

Friday just gone I went in the van to pick her up. The bike was PDI’d and prepared with all its accessories on Thursday. Transaction made seamless by the Moto Rapido team (big thanks to Andrew and George) who I chose to place the order with because of the service and parts back up – they feel like a proper Ducati dealer. Not a multi franchise metal shifting company (if you get my drift).

IMG_7734.jpg

The drive home was pretty quick as it was sunny. Got the bike of the van and immediately put 80 glorious miles on it, followed by another 30 or so yesterday (not as nice but hey ho, dry at least).

IMG_7741.jpg
    InkedIMG_7747.jpg IMG_7746.jpg

Why change from a fire breathing Panigale R to a lowly V2? I was increasingly finding the R frustrating to ride on the roads as it simply was not designed to travel anywhere near road speeds. I don’t have the nerve to take it on track as I could not live with myself if I dropped it – which I would cos, when the visor goes down, you know…. So I spent spring and autumn looking for a stable mate. Got a Tuono Factory but its almost as impractical as the R. In the end, after years of putting off the inevitable, I bought the BMW S1000rr. It is a bike that you can ride either like a commuter or a hooligan. You decide, not the bike. So, that’s the Bayliss’ stablemate for now (plus the track bike of course).

First impressions of the Bayliss?

· Noisy (incredibly so but in a good way). Standard exhaust definitely staying on

· Very narrow (I had forgotten how lythe they are)

· Agricultural. But its running in don’t forget, and limited to 6k. Up there its nice but low down it’s a Ducati and you actually have to ride it. Not saying its difficult, just that compared to an IL4 you have to concentrate a bit more

· Agile. With a capital F

· Slow. But Ive been riding a 200+ bhp RR a lot. And its running in.

· BEA-U-TI-FUL. Filling up one bloke walks past. “Nice bike”. Then another comes over and says, “That is bloody gorgeous. It’s a work of art. In fact, I would hang that on my wall”. It is a mark of my shallowness but, I did feel great after that.

· It feels like it is going to make an epic road bike. I doubt it will go on track (might do a Ducati Day) because its too pretty. I have no such issues funnily enough with the RR which will definitely be going on track next year. Go figure??

I’ve swapped around and have various middleweights including the Triumph Daytona Moto2 and 748r – in this spec the V2 continues the line from the 748r IMHO. As soon as I saw the Bayliss for the first time in the flesh, I knew I was going to get one. It just lit my fuse. In a nutshell, and in the words of Mr Bryn Cartwright, “I fuckin loves it!”

“Loves it” so much I have even got it a private plate – does that make it a keeper??

So, despite the fact that its nearly winter, and I’m unlikely to get many miles on it before March, yes, I do think it was worth the wait. :)

• Like Like x 34
  2. Do you like it then?
    :D:D:D:D

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. No mate

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Does look lovely. I dropped from an FE back to a 959 Corse as to be honest the FE was too much for me on track.

With the 959 I can use full throttle and actually ride it. Still miss the raw power of the bigger bike but overall I'm having more fun.

I've come close to PX'ing the 959 Corse for a V2 Bayliss a couple of times but in each case I've pulled out as I can't quite justify the cost to change.

Enjoy running it in...and subsequently!

#4 istanbulian, Oct 30, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. #640 is much nicer :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  6. Bagsy first dibs in three months time.
    (congrats too looks stunning)

• Funny Funny x 7
  7. I especially like the view when sat on the bike with the white edges to the fairing. Feels like you are riding an F off big Italian flag.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Has it broken down yet?

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Not yet. It had an extra hour in bed today which helped. :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. What about now?

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Morning @Expat Jack , have you checked it's still working this morning? Lights come on? Starts? That kinda thing.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. These are really nice. Saw one in flesh a cuppla weeks ago at Rykers. I like them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mate. I’m still in bed dude.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  14. I hate you so much.

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. Got v2 after lockdown figured I survived working in A&E during covid without face masks (we were banned until the guardian leaked the news) and wanted a duke for 25 years
    Had 2 accidents this year off riding for 6 months but I go to garage
    Just to look at my v2 it’s so beautiful love it the lines are lovely

• Like Like x 3
    • Love You Love You x 1
  16. However much trouble my own enduro is causing me, I do get a big smile from other peoples weapons. Enjoy

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Nice! Glad you like it, i personally found mine harder work than the earlier 959's on the road, the throttle being so leaned out on small inputs and there is a MASSIVE torque dip at 6k revs, which everyone says "well it's a small panigale so you should be revving it hard" but honestly that's not always practical. If you find this, then I'd suggest probably trying to gear it a little shorter as I found mine quite long geared.

I agree on the other points, the sound etc is good, it would be good though if you could get a custom map on it to improve the richness without it needing a different exhaust. Hmm.. perhaps a booster plug or the like,

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Obviously a bit too early for me to say but I will report back (in the spring).
    I’m out of bed now @Cream_Revenge and the sun is out, drying the roads so time for a ride soon. :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Did MotoRapido scrub the tyres in for you? (second photo, in the van)

20. Feel free to visit, I'm available till 14:30.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information