Featured V4 Motogp Fairing Project

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by DRR117, Dec 11, 2023.

1. Right I’ve been back and forth on this for a few months and I’ve decided what the hell, let’s see if I can do it. Sure it’s gonna annoy some folk, but the winters long and if I don’t do it I’ll only do something else equally as pointless :joy:

Can I make a full set of MotoGP Ducati Factory bodywork to fit a panigale V4?

So I started by buying a 1:18 Jack miller model GP22 factory bike and scanned it with one of my RevoPoint 3D scanners. With the 3D model I’ve started remodelling the panels in CAD and with a scan of my V4 (without fairing) I’ve scaled the GP22 panels and overlayed on the V4 mesh.

IMG_4258.jpeg

so while I’m sure I can make the fairings by 3D printing and them either making a mould or skinning them directly in fibreglass or carbon fibre, I’ve not decided yet and I think there will be some trial and error along the way. So I’ll probably make some videos to show the carnage and chaos of trying to make a complete set of MotoGP panels :)

so I’ll pop some updates on here as I go along. And all being well I’ll be the one at the trackday that looks a complete tool on a MotoGP replica :joy:

• Like Like x 27
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Epic!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. I'm pretty impressed by the model, so if the real thing is going to be 18 x better then it will be incredible.
    Just make sure you get full matching leathers, boots etc, they always look good on a trackday ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Having built a few replicas of other bikes I fully support this exercise in self delusion.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Looking forward to this :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Great project, look forward to following.

I’ve made most of the panels and carbon bits on my bike. The fairing was a winter project, a steep learning curve especially mold making. The satisfaction knowing you made it rather than bought it is so good. C920499F-E372-4FA7-9369-2FBF23A1AF1E.png Good luck.
    A pic of my handy work…

#6 doogalman, Dec 11, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2023
    • Like Like x 17
  7. This sounds such a great project, keep us updated

I have been thinking about this type of project for a while, want to make something that stands out at some point so love to see more on the process as you go

8. Sexual.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Amazing skills you guys have.

10. Have you done it yet?:p

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. So, going to start with the tail and seat unit.

While I haven’t quite decided whether to try and make a rear subframe used on the GP22 like the one below out of ally or just make some covers for my motoholders subframe to replicate the “look”

IMG_6660.jpeg

anyway split the 1:18 model down and scanned the tail pieces separately

IMG_8583.jpeg IMG_8581.jpeg

Popped the scanned mesh into Shapr3D then made a CAD model for the top / bottom and seat panel and then scaled them up to overlay the scan I have of my V4

IMG_0055.png
    IMG_0061.png
    IMG_0063.png

just to show the scan of the model size compared to the scan of the V4 I popped the scan model on the V4 tank :joy:

The rear piece is so big it won’t be able to fit on the printer whole, this shows the print bed and the size of the tail

IMG_8570.jpeg

Only option is to split the model into smaller pieces. So put it into Meshmixer to split into 4 pieces to print on the creality CR10 max. This is going to be a bit trial and error tweaking the settings for the print as it be quarter of the rear panel is a 20 hour print. So looking at 4 days printing just for the rear top fairing (the bit that usually has the stegasaurus fins on) I will do the stegasaurus fins last.

so it’s printed the first part of the project. Fingers crossed it’s a usable print.

#11 DRR117, Dec 13, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. @DRR117 v.interesting project. what does your 3D capture and modelling pipeline look like? a point cloud from the RevoPoint 3D, which you manually trace in 3D then slice?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cloud point converted to mesh in the RevoScan software. Then the mesh used as a guide really to model around in Shapr3D.

I have DesignX / Solidworks to AutoSurface and create a solid, which I could then 3D print a mould.. but at the minute I just find it easier trying to build a 3D CAD model with the Mesh as a template / guide.

The 1:18 model isn’t 100% accurate so my CAD model allows me a little artistic licence. Plus I’m learning this as I go so no doubt I’ll stumble across easier ways to make the model…. Probably when I print the last piece :joy:

14. Well 12 hours in and it looks to be printing ok. Printing the front left section of the rear top panel. Hopefully be finished this afternoon and I can start part 2.

This is the 3rd print attempt, as the first 2 failed so had to adjust the printer settings.

Creality CR-10 Smart printer with a 300x300x400mm print space.

IMG_8601.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  15. Witchcraft!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. I wish I had the brain capacity to get into 3d printing, so much can be done with them. Sadly im more mechanically minded than computer stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. bloody mind-blowing this... Image when we have these sat next to the fridge and just order up what we want... **..Blown..**

• Like Like x 2
  18. As another who has no idea about 3d printing, what is your rough estimate on costs for the project? It’s bloody fascinating to me.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Do you take Wotsits?

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. i have some orange filament, I could print a giant wotsit when the bikes finished :bucktooth::joy::joy:

#20 DRR117, Dec 14, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information